starting strength gym

Thread: Isotonic Isometric Programming?

Default Isotonic Isometric Programming?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I came across Bill Star's article about isotonic isometrics (written back in 2010), and was wondering if you had any more insight on this topic. I am finding it hard to dig up some additional information on this specific style of training. I am either finding it related to strictly one or the other.

I would like to program them in my next cycle, but I am unsure of how to do so. From the article, my understanding is that if I were to incorporate it, I would do simply one heavy set of a 8-12 second hold? Would you recommend any specific frequency per week?

Thank you,
    Jordan

I don't recommend that you use the method until you're experienced enough to make your own decisions about it.

Do you have a suggestion as to what may be considered "experienced?" It very clearly may not be now, but until I reach that point, do you know where I might find any research on the topic?

As blunt as your answer is above, I do sincerely appreciate it as it is straight to the point and not fluffed up!

We'll ask the board, but my experience with it is limited because it is difficult to implement. It is hard for inexperienced lifters to use because they don't know how to push hard enough into the pins in the absence of bar movement, and experienced lifters can overtrain it very easily. I have seldom used it for any trainee.