Starting Strength Austin Starting Strength Austin - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Austin

• phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    Hey! I'm Jarrod Schaefer, a Starting Strength Coach, a Nutrition Coach, and the manager at Starting Strength Austin.

I've been an apprentice under Joyce at her Luke's Barbell Club since 2017, and she turned me into a coach first, and then a Starting Strength Coach in 2018. She is the best coach in the world, and one of the best women I've ever met. I'm proud to call her one of my best friends.

I have a long history with training and fitness, horrible depths like eating disorders that warranted therapy and performance-enhancing drug abuse, to heights of competitive physique bodybuilding and completely rehabilitating a broken shoulder through barbell training.

I've learned that strength is the most important thing in life, Starting Strength is the way to develop that strength, and Joyce Luke is the coach to take you through it. My experience with her has been the most positive training experience of my life, and even though a career in fitness coaching was my passion before I ever came across Joyce or SS, it's impossible to say I would have ever made it without her coaching, cultivation and coordination.

It's incredibly exciting and rewarding to be involved in putting this gym together, doing as much as possible to relieve the load on Joyce's plate, and watching the space and equipment come together! It's a lot of work, but I don't think Joyce or I have ever been this excited about a project before.

As a promotional event to celebrate our grand opening, we'll be doing a squat workshop to introduce ourselves, our model, and our results by teaching the most important, the most effective, and the most misunderstood barbell lift known to man! #tellyourfriends

Austin.startingstrengthgyms.com/squat-workshop

Ask me anything about my fitness experience, the wonderful city of Austin, training with Joyce, where to get the best tacos, and how to get as strong as possible. We can't wait to see you there!

-Jarrod Schaefer, Starting Strength Coach, Nutrition Coach, Manager - jschaefer@startingstrengthgyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by ErinMarvin View Post
    I canít wait for it to open! Iíve been driving by and stopping to stick my nose against the glass like a kid and a candy store.
    Go back and wipe your nose prints off please.

Great post, Jarrod. Where's the best place to get tacos with a side of Mexican karaoke?
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 03-28-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Great post, Jarrod. Where's the best place to get tacos with a side of Mexican karaoke?
    I still have PTSD from that Mexican Karaoke place. At the time I thought chugging a margarita would make it better but then I just got brain freeze...

No karaoke, but Hula Hut is the $#!T. I can tell you from personal experience that if you finish one of the poo-poo platters by yourself, you can convince the waiter to buy you a margarita.

Joyce Luke is offline Owner, Starting Strength Austin
    Starting Strength Coach

Thanks so much Jarrod! Damn, I still have tears in my eyes.

I've got updates on the gym build!

We've received our last load of gym equipment and the weekend will be spent building platforms, assembling racks and laying everything out. We just might be able to lift in there on Monday night!

I have a few more tears in my eyes over tacos and girly drinks. I'd start with Tex Mex Joes, Enchiladas Y Mas, or Juan in a Million. We should also ask Wolf--he's been digging in some roots here so he must have a taco opinion by now!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce Luke View Post
    Thanks so much Jarrod! Damn, I still have tears in my eyes.

I've got updates on the gym build!

We've received our last load of gym equipment and the weekend will be spent building platforms, assembling racks and laying everything out. We just might be able to lift in there on Monday night!

I have a few more tears in my eyes over tacos and girly drinks. I'd start with Tex Mex Joes, Enchiladas Y Mas, or Juan in a Million. We should also ask Wolf--he's been digging in some roots here so he must have a taco opinion by now!
    Ha! I can't wait to come see the gym!

I've become a regular at Torchy's, which is always going to be solid, but isn't going to be the place you go if you want to go to ONE place for tacos in Austin. I've only been here a few months but so far I've been impressed with Papalote and Habanero Cafe. Maudie's Too was pretty good too, solid but didn't knock my socks off.
    YT * IG * FB

Tacodeli and Veracruz for me, partly because they're close and mostly because they're delicious. Torchy's is fine.

Hello! I suppose I should introduce myself since I'm posting random taco musings in this thread. I'm Jesse Carrigan. I've been interning at Luke's Barbell Club, and I'm very excited to apprentice at Starting Strength Austin. I learned about Starting Strength around 2013 after doing some program or other that was okay exercise but not great training. I managed to get my squat from 150 to 335 in about 18 weeks doing nearly everything wrong, and was convinced of the program's efficacy. I attended a seminar in 2016 because I wanted to learn and get in-depth coaching on the lifts, and I'm really grateful to the coaching staff for that weekend.

I moved to Austin last year for work and I love it here. I feel truly lucky that Joyce and Jarrod were so close by; they've become great friends and mentors, and learning from such dedicated coaches is a real privilege. I was deeply honored when Joyce asked me if I'd be interested in interning with her. I'll be staffing the mid-day sessions and open gym on Saturdays, trying to remain gainfully employed at my day job so I can pay for protein powder and eggs. This week I'm looking forward to helping get the last few things in place at the new location. I got to assist in unloading some of the equipment over the last month and it's all beautifully made. Can't wait for fahves in the new power racks!

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you before too long! I'm always available for questions about tacos or music.
    Last edited by Jesse Carrigan; 04-02-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Awesome, and not too far from Franklins...

starting strength nutrition camp
    I’m excited to be on as one of the first apprentice coaches at Starting Strength Austin!

My name is Chris, I'm (finally) finishing up my B.S. Physics this summer at UT Austin, and I've been working as a Head Lifeguard and Lifeguard instructor on campus for about two years! I started my first LP in October 2017, moved over to the Starting Strength Method in January of 2018 and met Joyce and Jarrod in February at my first Starting Strength seminar at the barbell club! Once my form was finally fixed up, I was able to finish up my LP in June, and I started interning in August!

I started getting coached by Joyce a year ago for form checks and programming, and I some got help with my Olympic Lifting affliction (we're still figuring that one out). I had some problems making progress on some standard intermediate programs, so Joyce has me on a block program, which I've really been enjoying.

I’ve had a very aggressive school schedule, but I was usually able to make it to Luke’s Barbell Club on weekends for training and observing.
    If anyone has any questions about what it’s like to do an Internship at a Starting Strength Gym let me know! Typically most of my time on Saturdays and the occasional Friday was spent observing Joyce and Jarrod coaching. Eventually I began a transition to doing some coaching myself! It's still surprising to me how the experience has developed my eye, even knowing that I still have a lot to learn! And never fear prospective interns! - Despite Jarrod's internship record, I never made a single pot of coffee!

I'm native to Austin, so naturally my favorite place to eat is at home. Food purchased from HEB. But when I'm being decidedly irresponsible with my hard-earned paycheck, not to mention my diet, I have a weakness for burgers. Top Notch is a great burger joint, it hasn't changed since my dad lived here in the 60's. So if you don't have space for a DeLorean in your garage, this is a great place to start. Hopdoddy of course has amazing burgers. And there's a walk-up window on the east side of the JW Marriot Hotel on 2nd street where you can get great burgers and fries. It's literally a hole in a wall. There are no chairs, you just get your burger and leave. Mighty Fine is also a favorite burger place of mine. And of course my favorite Tacos are served at Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ, but it's destined to be one of those places here in Austin where the hours spent waiting in line aren't worth the food. So you'd better get down there before people figure it out.

I’ll be helping to get the gym ready this week-its great to see everything come together!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast