Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Austin

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

• wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Carrigan View Post
    Hello! I suppose I should introduce myself since I'm posting random taco musings in this thread. I'm Jesse Carrigan. I've been interning at Luke's Barbell Club, and I'm very excited to apprentice at Starting Strength Austin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGray View Post
    I’m excited to be on as one of the first apprentice coaches at Starting Strength Austin!

My name is Chris, I'm (finally) finishing up my B.S. Physics this summer at UT Austin, and I've been working as a Head Lifeguard and Lifeguard instructor on campus for about two years!
    Hi Jesse and Chris! Thanks for introducing yourselves. Big week! T-minus six days until Intros start. Glad to have you aboard.

Hi folks. My name is Ben McAllister and I’ve been training with Joyce for three years. When I started with Joyce, I didn’t know anything about strength training or Starting Strength. I was recovering from back surgery and a mutual friend told me that Joyce was good at rehabbing people with injuries. I often think about that first consult with Joyce.

Joyce: So we’ll want you to come in three times a week.
    Me: Well, I can only do once.
    Joyce: Well we really prefer three times a week
    (Thinking to myself): Who is this “we?”
    Me: “Well I figure once a week is better than nothing.”

To her credit, Joyce let me start by coming in once a week (on a good week). After a year of this, I started wondering how strong I could get if I actually did what “we” prefer and trained consistently. Then it was off to the races. Three years later, training feels like an essential part of life. I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. I don’t worry that picking up my daughter is going to “tweak” my back. I don’t worry about back pain at all, because it's basically gone. It turns out that if you have issues with your back, the best thing you can to do is get stronger. This thing really changed my life!

Great to hear from you Jesse and Chris, and best of luck with your apprenticeships at SS Austin. You're bound to have a blast. And thanks for the food recommendations too. I *almost* visited Austin once, way back in 2000 (it's a long story), and it's been on my wish list ever since. I'm ever more excited to visit now. I look forward to following your progress. It sounds like your in great hands with Joyce.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by bmca View Post
    Hi folks. My name is Ben McAllister and Iíve been training with Joyce for three years. When I started with Joyce, I didnít know anything about strength training or Starting Strength. I was recovering from back surgery and a mutual friend told me that Joyce was good at rehabbing people with injuries.

Three years later, training feels like an essential part of life. Iím stronger than Iíve ever been. I donít worry that picking up my daughter is going to ďtweakĒ my back. I donít worry about back pain at all, because it's basically gone. It turns out that if you have issues with your back, the best thing you can to do is get stronger. This thing really changed my life!
    Ben, thank you for sharing! The week before launch is stressful for everyone involved, and it's great to get a specific reminder about why we're all working so hard to bring Starting Strength to more people. Great story and I'm glad you have a big, strong, pain-free back.

Quote Originally Posted by bmca View Post
    I¬’m stronger than I’ve ever been. I don’t worry that picking up my daughter is going to “tweak” my back. I don’t worry about back pain at all, because it's basically gone. It turns out that if you have issues with your back, the best thing you can to do is get stronger. This thing really changed my life!
    100% agree, Ben. I was in really dreadful shape several years ago and it shocks me to think about how different things have been since I started barbell training, even without as much consistency. I'm not advocating for that, but even when I hadn't trained for a while due to life happening I never completely lost the increased 'floor'. Cool to hear your story, and it's awesome to see your progress on Instagram. We've rarely seen each other at the gym due to schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Great to hear from you Jesse and Chris, and best of luck with your apprenticeships at SS Austin. You're bound to have a blast. And thanks for the food recommendations too. I *almost* visited Austin once, way back in 2000 (it's a long story), and it's been on my wish list ever since. I'm ever more excited to visit now. I look forward to following your progress. It sounds like your in great hands with Joyce.
    Get rid of that 'almost', my friend. I've been trying to move here for 10 years, and I wish it had worked out then. Still a great town.

While I'm at it I'll mention that due to schedules I've been coached by Jarrod for a while and I want to give him a shout-out. He's a compassionate, enthusiastic, encouraging dude who I've been thrilled and grateful to have as a coach and a friend. Looking forward to working with you, my brother.

Starting Strength Coach

Today is a BIG day for Starting Strength. Congrats to the Austin team!
    Starting Strength Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Carrigan View Post
    100% agree, Ben. I was in really dreadful shape several years ago and it shocks me to think about how different things have been since I started barbell training, even without as much consistency. I'm not advocating for that, but even when I hadn't trained for a while due to life happening I never completely lost the increased 'floor'. Cool to hear your story, and it's awesome to see your progress on Instagram. We've rarely seen each other at the gym due to schedules.

Get rid of that 'almost', my friend. I've been trying to move here for 10 years, and I wish it had worked out then. Still a great town.

While I'm at it I'll mention that due to schedules I've been coached by Jarrod for a while and I want to give him a shout-out. He's a compassionate, enthusiastic, encouraging dude who I've been thrilled and grateful to have as a coach and a friend. Looking forward to working with you, my brother.
    You're gonna make me cry, bud. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    Today is a BIG day for Starting Strength. Congrats to the Austin team!
    Starting Strength Austin
    I saw that go up... It brought tears to my eyes...

Super excited for you Joyce! (and Jarrod) - This is a big day. Congrats you guys!!

Joyce Luke is offline Owner, Starting Strength Austin
    Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    Super excited for you Joyce! (and Jarrod) - This is a big day. Congrats you guys!!
    Thanks Matt! I'm so excited and everything is looking great!

Thanks so much to the franchise team on the ground here helping out with the finishing touches! We've got 2 more inspections to pass and more equipment and furniture to lay out. I'll post more pics soon!

Starting Strength Austin

Starting Strength Austin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joyce Luke; 04-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast