Starting Strength Austin Starting Strength Austin - Page 8

starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Starting Strength Austin

• phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    I wanted to talk a bit about my experience trying to combine training for a physical fitness test (aka running) alongside a Linear Progression. I was required to run a mile and a half in 11 minutes and row 500 meters in a minute 40 to pass the test. My strength training background made the row sprint easy, but my running was whole minutes over the time. After realizing I would need to make serious progress on my mile and a half time, I began running every other day to get my time up.

Pretty quickly I got very beaten up. Between heavy squatting and 3-4 miles of running, there was never a point where my legs weren't sore and in pain. I was eating more and sleeping eight hours a night, but my body just couldn't keep up. Soon, my squat got stuck at 315. At that point I realized I had to make a sacrifice, because doing both activities was crushing my body and soul. I needed to put my LP on pause.

I ended up losing 12 pounds a week before my test, and managed to shave off an entire 20 seconds on my run, despite being stuck at an 11 minute 26 second time for weeks. I continued lifting throughout the weight loss, although at a reduced load, in order to maintain strength. I was able to not lose any time on my row as well.

What I learned, and what I really should have known already, is that the Novice Linear Progression is an extremely stressful event for the body, and that trying to throw any other kind of physical activity in during this phase is just wasting time and effort. There is a reason why the program is like it is. If I could do everything over somehow, or had more time, I would definitely complete the progression all the way out before thinking about adding in endurance training.

Did you do all this at Starting Strength Austin?

Yes. I'm an apprentice coach there. Jarrod helped me out with the details.

Heck Patrick. I did say that IF it were more important for you to shave 30 seconds off your running time in a month than it was for you to add any weight to your squat, press and deadlift, then the way I WOULD do that would be... such and such. BUT I did not say that you SHOULD do those things. You did a great job by the way. It's super easy to lose fat and get faster. Congratulations on shaving that time off your run, keeping your row speed up, and seeing those little baby abs that you took a bathroom mirror selfie of while you were probably flexing. Cool, right?

Now that the test is over, however, and you have gotten smaller, weaker, less useful and starting feeling weird little pains all over your body, you need to start eating like a human again, cease to be a baby mammal, and start earnestly lifting.

See you in the gym tomorrow!

Yup. I am excited to get through a Linear Progression the right way this time.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Wu View Post
    Yup. I am excited to get through a Linear Progression the right way this time.
    Would love to see starting numbers/details/photos and a final update when you get through it. Jen and I will be in Austin week after next - hope to see you then.

Standard novice LP, done by a non-standard novice

I came to Starting Strength Austin as a complete newbie to barbell training. Never touched a barbell before the Squat Workshop, and my entire workout routine in 2018 was walking 4,000 to 5,000 steps a day (hint: that's not very much). For Christmas, I bought a spin bike and started doing HIIT cardio workouts. And on May 1, I joined the SS Austin gym.

Just shy of 12 weeks later, I'm pleased to report that I'm definitely getting stronger:

..Start.. Now
    Squat 55 lb 152.5 lb x 3
    OH press 35 lb ..70 lb x 3 x 5
    Bench press 55 lb 97.5 lb x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 85 lb 195 lb x 3...

By the way... did I mention I'm a woman?
    Or that I stand 5'2" (in my squat shoes)?
    Or that I'm over 60?
    Are you impressed yet?

Okay, how about this...
    Through my workplace, I have access to DEXA scanning at a deep discount. The three points on these charts are Feb 22 (ramping up on HIIT cardio), April 25 (just before joining SS Austin), and July 11 (10 weeks into NLP).

Takeaways:
    • Bodyfat percentage went down at the same rate, HIIT vs. SS.
    • Fat loss (in pounds) under the barbell slowed by about 50% compared to HIIT, but continued steadily.
    • And while the HIIT regimen cost me 2.2 pounds of muscle along with that 6.0 pounds of fat, I actually gained 2.6 pounds of lean body mass in 10 weeks of SS, while losing 3.7 pounds in fat mass. A quarter-pound of muscle gained per week! Nothing special for a young man, maybe, but pretty damn good for my demographic.

Can't say enough good things about the crew at Starting Strength Austin... Joyce, Mark, Jesse, and Patrick have all been instrumental in keeping my form correct and my goals moving ever upward. As I hit the limits of recovery on the different lifts, Joyce has adjusted my program so that I'm still progressing from week to week. And as the weights get heavier, I find new challenges in maintaining proper depth, mid-foot balance, back extension, and so forth--a coach with an experienced eye is always there to prompt me.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but if anyone reading this is wondering if this Starting Strength stuff is really worth the commitment... Well, not gonna lie, it is a commitment, and it really is worth it.

Goals for Aug 1: >200 lb deadlift, >100 lb bench
    Goals for Sep 1: Deadlift two plates!

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

Love it!!!! Absolutely hell yes!!!

This is pretty awesome data! I'm still impressed. Never gets old. Reliability right there.

Joyce Luke is offline Owner, Starting Strength Austin
    Starting Strength Coach

We're excited about the updates to our website! Thank you so much Ray! Also, with our Squats and Tacos Open House events we've had 5 new members over 50 sign up in the last 2 weeks. People like a test drive. People like tacos.

Check us out:

Starting Strength Austin

Starting Strength Austin Open House Saturdays

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678