starting strength gym
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Dallas

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone. My name is Matt Aland, and I'm one of the apprentice coaches over at Starting Strength Dallas. I started with SS about a year and a half ago with Grant, Ray, Dylan and Mike at The Strength Co in Costa Mesa and moved to Dallas last year to finish up my undergrad. I applied for this coaching spot after training a team of high school rowers at the Dallas Rowing Club in the spring, and it's been worth every minute of rush hour traffic on the 75. But enough about me, let's get to the good stuff!

To piggyback off of Brent's recent brag on behalf of one of our members, I thought I'd submit some praise for our evening groups from the last week.

One of our Masters hit two milestones last week. At 45, he hit 135 on his press for three sets of five, and two training days later, came in and pulled 315 for a set of five.
    Another win (and a lifetime PR) for the Masters from a member who threw 135 overhead for three sets of five on his press.
    We had two younger guys ~30 pull 315 for five on the same day, another young buck taking 315 in the squat for three sets of five, and yet another who pulled 405 for five. If you blinked, you would have missed it.

Very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with these gentlemen and develop as a coach under Brent and Jayne. Looking forward to sharing more with you all as SSDallas continues to grow.

Hey Matt, thanks for taking the time to share some great achievements. Enjoy your time in Dallas, and I look forward to hearing more terrific stories in the future.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

Nice!

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Another article from the minds of one of our outstanding coaches. MAYBE he will hop on here at some point and introduce himself??!?

Group Coaching vs. Private Coaching | Jordan Burnett

Hey guys! I’m Jordan Burnett, one of the assistant coaches over at Starting Strength Dallas. I’m a little late to the party here, but I wanted to hop on and introduce myself.
    A little about me - the short version is that a few years ago I was 140 pounds and weak and now I’m 225 pounds and strong (ish). I’ve been coaching full time for just shy of 2 years and have been an assistant coach at SS Dallas since it opened in July.
    It’s been an awesome few months at Starting Strength Dallas - helping regular people get strong is so fulfilling and going to work is genuinely the highlight of my day. I’m learning tons from our exalted leader Brent Carter, and he’s been fantastic to work with.
    We’re building an amazing community of like-minded, hard working members at the gym and I truly can’t wait to see where it takes us!

Welcome to the forum Jordan! I loved your article mate. Keep up the great work. I look forward to hearing much more from you in the future.

Just thought I’d share one of our members’ experience about training through a back tweak.

“What do you do when you tweak your back and convince yourself that you can’t possibly bend over and pick up an empty bar? Well, you do what all the big boys and girls on the SS podcasts and articles have said over and over: You train.
    Last Friday I felt something was not quite right after my last deadlift. I was stiff and in pain all weekend. My pride prevented me from letting my family see I was hurting so I took OTCs and carried on. After a very busy weekend that involved driving for several hours and not resting enough, I got up this morning, got dressed and headed to the gym. Putting my socks on was a struggle!
    I let Brent and Jordan know how I felt. They politely told me to go warm up. I was fully aware that I would be attempting and expected to train as though as was feeling 100%. What I didn’t know is that I would actually be able to complete all of my lifts as though I had been feeling 100%.
    Was it scary? Yes. It was terrifying. Did I keep a positive attitude the entire time? No. I was full of self doubt and expressed it often. (Sorry, guys). But I put my trust in my coaches, the program and my body. It was surprising to find out that with each lift my body was responding well. I did carefully assess how I felt after each set and Brent and Jordan kept an eye on the situation the whole time. In the end, my body did not betray me and I was able to add weight to the bar as scheduled.
    Today I felt like I won a big battle. All the information that I had listened to on how to train through an injury was helpful in planting the seed that helped to not give up. But having the experience was a valuable lesson that I hope to use in the future. Next time my mind thinks I can’t do something, I’ll cut out the middle man of self doubt and go straight to remembering that my body knows best.”

This was a huge personal victory for her, and hopefully this gives some insight to those who are wary about training through tweaks, aches and pains.

Starting Strength Coach

Well done Ileana!

Starting Strength Coach

New Review from one of our clients:

"If you're reading this review, you'll benefit from Starting Strength Dallas. I've recommended to all my friends and family. Barbell training isn't just for experienced lifters -- everyone by definition has to start somewhere. Part of what's great about Starting Strength Dallas is that they're equipped to help any person, regardless of age, health or condition get stronger correctly, in a safe and compassionate environment. The key is to learn how to do the exercises correctly from the start, and that doesn't really fit with the big gym business model.

I've joined a lot of gyms in my life, but haven't lifted weights seriously in over 20 years. (And honestly, what I was doing 20 years ago was for aesthetics only. Then marriage and life and general laziness got in the way) I'm the last person I'd expect to see in a weight room, and barbell lifts have always been more intimidating to me than machines and dumbbells. I've 'known' for a long time that the best exercises for overall health and strength and training are unassisted squats, deadlifts, and presses, but I've never had proper form and have been scared of injury. (Rip, Tim Ferris, Peter Attia, Nassim Taleb, Wes Grey, Joe Rogan... List goes on... scientific consensus seems to me to support squats, deadlifts and presses as the best all around conditioning exercises, but learning technique on your own is hard)

Starting Strength Dallas is the solution. There are other programs around town that incorporate these lifts, but none in a comprehensive, programmed, controlled progression like this. It's not a competition -- everyone in the gym has the same goal. I've had the book for years, but no amount of reading and watching videos can replicate the experience of having a certified coach watch every single work set, providing corrections and cues where needed.

The location is convenient, parking is easy, and the equipment all top of the line. The signup experience was a breeze, and after your first intro session with Brent, when you show up for your assigned time (Most go 3x a week, but they have a 2x/week option), your name is on a screen with your work sets and weight listed, and you can log everything online. High tech stuff. They take the guess work out of it. Class sizes are small, so you always get a lot of attention, cues and support.

I showed up to my intro session fasted (big mistake), and could barely make it through a single set of squats. Shoulders tight from 20 years in front of a computer. I felt defeated/embarassed, but not for long -- Brent brought over OJ and a banana, and we worked on the rest of my programming. A month in, I'm squatting -- correctly -- and my deadlift is up to 200#.

This is the best fitness value in town, too -- for the cost of a soul cycle session, you get 90 minutes of HIGH quality, compassionate coaching on what are the best, most time tested, foundational lifts in the world. Seriously. The coaches here are the best, and the Starting Strength Certification is the most rigorous in the industry from what I've learned.

3 years ago I broke my leg. Tibial Plateau Fracture - shattered Tibia and Fibula, tore ACL, MCL, meniscus .. the works. 3 surgeries and a lot of hardware later, and I'm walking again. I was bedridden for 4 months, which caused me to lose much of my lower body muscle mass. Outside of the doc prescribed PT, I haven't done a thing (til now!) to rebuild my leg strength.

My orthopedist told me the best thing I could do to rehab and prevent reinjury was resistance training, specifically squats and deadlifts. 3 years later I'm finally taking his advice. I explained how Starting Strength works, and he couldn't be more enthusiastic.

If you know you should be doing resistance training (and if you're alive, you should be), come to an open house Saturday 10-12, or just sign up before they're sold out. They cap each class size to ensure ample individual attention.

Many thanks to Brent, Jayne, Michael, Will, Jordan and the rest of the SSD team."

Thanks, Keller!

starting strength coach development program
    Wow! That's a review and a half! Well done SS Dallas!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast