starting strength gym
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Dallas

Brent Carter is online now Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We've got two members officially signed up for the competition in December at WFAC. Very excited to be taking them to their first meet. Should be lots of fun. Will hopefully convince a few more members who were talking about competing to actually sign up and register.

I know JD is reading this. Bring your best JD! (minus Chase because that's just not fair...)

Hey y'all. Been a minute since I checked in. We've had some pretty cool happenings over at SSD lately, and if you've been following us on instagram, you've likely seen some of the milestones our lifters have made.

What you probably didn't see was a message I received in my DM's on instagram from one of our members (in response to a post I made)

"I love you guys and what you do so much. I feel your passion when you are coaching us in my bones. Literally"

*I would post a screenshot, but I'm still figuring out this image-hosting nonsense, so a quote will have to do

Also...

We had our first* 200LB press last night!

*To my knowledge

This is the same member whose progress was shared here by Brent as a screenshot. He has a tendency to get in his own head and consistently comes in saying, "I don't know about squats/presses/deadlifts today" and then makes them look effortless for the duration of the lift. It ain't fair, I tell ya. But his determination is worth sharing with you all. Unfortunately, he's already committed during the holiday season and won't be able to make it to the teamlifting meet. But I believe if we can all come together as a community.... and berate him into competing out of shame, we'll see him at the next meet held at WFAC.

I'd love to post photos in this thread, but I gotta re-read the rules before I spam the thread with my album of post-worthy photos. And figure out this image-hosting nonsense.

Stay tuned.

Thanks for the update Matt. A 200lb press is certainly something to celebrate for sure! Keep up the great work mate.

Thanks for reading, Travis. One of these days we'll get that member on the forums to introduce himself.

Hey folks! Something pretty neat happened this morning. Brent let me coach two of our morning classes alone without his direct supervision.

Firstly, it was great to coach and get to know a group of our members that I wasn’t used to coaching or spent a ton of time with. Everything went very smoothly and I feel very confident about everyone’s performance today.

Secondly, given the quality of service and coaching that is demanded by Brent and Starting Strength, I feel like this is a big step for me personally in my coaching development.

Brent has been a great mentor thus far, and we’ve both noticed a marked improvement in my coaching eye since starting at SSD. Special thanks to him for trusting me to coach our members!

Brent Carter is online now Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

All reports indicate that you did a great job. I am very pleased to watch your progression in the gym both on the platform as a lifter as well as a coach.

We are hosting a mock meet for our members this Saturday in preparation for the Stronger Together meet in WFAC. Looking forward to seeing some big numbers put up. We will be sure and post here with updates.

Special thanks to Rip, Nick, et all, for not making our guys wear singlets!

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Carter View Post
    We've got two members officially signed up for the competition in December at WFAC. Very excited to be taking them to their first meet. Should be lots of fun. Will hopefully convince a few more members who were talking about competing to actually sign up and register.

I know JD is reading this. Bring your best JD! (minus Chase because that's just not fair...)
    First of all, I wish you and your team all the luck. We will not be competing this year because we realize you need a head start. Doing otherwise would be unfair.

And can you honestly expect us to NOT include Chase in the mix?

Starting Strength Dallas

Ha ha - between this and your shots at Broggi, you are on fire today JD! Well played sir!

Brent, Thanks for the tour this morning of Starting Strength Dallas. What a great training facility! I sure wish we had something similar in Kansas City / Overland Park...

It was a pleasure meeting you, Jordan, and some of your new clients. See you next weekend in Wichita Falls.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday we had a new member that was lifting in his first full class. For the sake of anonymity, we’ll call him K. K is about 6’1 and 140 lbs. Immediately upon meeting him, I felt a special sense of responsibility for him since I’m also 6’1 and weighed the same when I started lifting.

He proceeded through his squats (rather well, I might add, considering it was only his second time doing the movement), and it was time for him to do his presses. The previous coaches that were working with him were working on perfecting the use of his hips during the press and decided to keep him at the 22 lb. bar. After a little work, Brent and I (mostly Brent) got them working fine and after a few sets got him up to the 45 lb. bar.

Up to that point, there was noticeable discomfort on K’s face during previous sets. Not because anything was hurting, but because it was the heaviest thing he’d ever lifted over his head. We got him ready to do his work set and he unracked the 45 lb. bar. He did his first rep easily. His second was a little slower. His third was slower still. They were all actually really fast, but it didn’t feel like it to him. At this point, he began to panic and attempted to rack the bar. I told him, “No! Finish the set!” K looked fearful, like he didn’t believe he could eek out another rep. He did the fourth one. Again, he panicked and tried to rack the bar. I said, “No K, trust yourself, you WILL finish this set!”

At this point, every eye in the gym was on K. All of our members were cheering him on to finish his set. As he started to press his 5th rep, everyone was cheering for him to lock it out. And as the bar locked out over his head, the gym exploded with applause. K racked the bar and smiled.

I think a lot of people think that weight training will only yield physical benefits. In my experience, the net effect of getting stronger is confidence and mental fortitude. K not only got physically stronger yesterday, he also broke down a huge mental barrier. This is what weight training allows us to do - the things we never thought we could.

This was by far one of my favorite coaching moments, and I’m very excited to watch K’s progress over the coming months.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast