starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this an olympic barbell?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You'll get one whether you want one or not.
    They're always so damn helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Herrera View Post
    Also, how do i avoid the motherfuckers that lift the bar for me in the concentric part of the bench when i told them to only lift the bar in case i failed the lift?
    Usually looking them in the eye and telling them "only touch the bar if I'm about to die, got it?" works. Not always, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    In order of preference:
    1) home gym with safety pins - no spotter
    2) public gym with safety pins - no spotter
    3) women seem to actually listen to what you say, especially if they're small, so ask them.
    4) ask someone that you only want a lift off, but that they should stand there in case you die. If they hover, say "fuck off" at the top of the set. I've only had to do this once, but they won't touch the bar. Then apologize after.
    "Spot" on. The only thing I'd add is that if you do find yourself in need of a spotter avoid the heavy sweaters at all cost.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

I had a guy give me a lift off and then walk off. I guess I overemphasized the "don't touch the bar" a little too much...

Today a friend of mine did an attempt at 385lb with the notorious powerlifter spotter, a disaster waiting to happen. He of course just took it right from him and then ignored every complaint my friend made. Cos now it was his turn to bench and he, quite frankly, quite obviously to me, didn't give a shit. He started talking about being hungry and how his working weight was so easy for him. Big woop.

Later my friend did a single at 365lb, probably out of frustration more so than anything, his programming now pushed back a week on something trivial like that. He asked me if he should try 385 again and I told him to just repeat his workout next week, fresh and with a better spotter. I told him how I never ask that guy to spot me cos he did the same to me once. He said this was the first time he did it to him, to which I responded "and the last time, too; just ask me to spot you next time".

Find spotters you can trust. If you can't teach them, drop them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Herrera View Post
    Today i asked the owner of my gym if all the bars at the gym were olympic ones, which i before had assumed they were, he denied it and said that some of them were slightly lighter, of course, the dear person that is writing this was using them mixed because he thought they were the same (same lenght of the knurlings) So i ask, are these two olympics barbells? If the other isn't, how do i make the change to the olympic barbell without fucking up my LP on the bench, primarily?
    Well, if you are worried about a few pound difference between barbells affecting your LP loading strategy,
    You might want to think long and hard about how there is quite a bit of a difference in your gym plates also.
    And if the bars and that bench pictured are any indication (and owner's response when queried), I'm sure your plates are all over the place also.
    Most "good" plates are somewhere in the tolerance of 2%+/-. Cheap shitty one's are worse (more deviation).
    At our gym, they have metric (44 lbs), standard (45), and some weird-o chinese 32mm bar that weigh 47+ (weighed on gym scale, that's probably wrong too lol)

Also, how do i avoid the motherfuckers that lift the bar for me in the concentric part of the bench when i told them to only lift the bar in case i failed the lift? Most of my "spotters" are like that... Anyway, thanks Mr Rippetoe, even if this thread goes unnoticed.
    I've found saying, "Just stand there, its just for safety. No lift-off or 'magic hover-hands' " usually works.
    I something goes awry, or if you fail, they'll know what to do.

If you can do without the lift off ... yeah, forgo that.
    You start asking for a lift-off, it seems to get the ball rolling in the wrong direction by getting them "involved" too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12