starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this an olympic barbell?

Default Is this an olympic barbell?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today i asked the owner of my gym if all the bars at the gym were olympic ones, which i before had assumed they were, he denied it and said that some of them were slightly lighter, of course, the dear person that is writing this was using them mixed because he thought they were the same (same lenght of the knurlings) So i ask, are these two olympics barbells? If the other isn't, how do i make the change to the olympic barbell without fucking up my LP on the bench, primarily? 20190329_134536[1].jpg20190329_134544[1].jpg

Also, how do i avoid the motherfuckers that lift the bar for me in the concentric part of the bench when i told them to only lift the bar in case i failed the lift? Most of my "spotters" are like that... Anyway, thanks Mr Rippetoe, even if this thread goes unnoticed.

1. The pictures you have provided are so bad that I can't tell anything about the bars, other than they generally appear to be some type of 20 kg Olympic barbell.

2. You cannot control the behavior of other people unless you are in a position of power/authority over them, which you do not appear to be. Problems like you are experiencing are typically managed by going to a better gym or getting your own equipment and training at home.

If there is a scale nearby, you might weigh the barbells. I have a cheap CAP bar that came with a Sears set of weights. It appears to be a regular Olympic style bar, but it weighs in at 40 lbs.

Don't ask for a spotter. Ever. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Herrera View Post
    Also, how do i avoid the motherfuckers that lift the bar for me in the concentric part of the bench when i told them to only lift the bar in case i failed the lift? Most of my "spotters" are like that... Anyway, thanks Mr Rippetoe, even if this thread goes unnoticed.
    I used to have this same issue, now I always instruct my spotter “don’t touch the bar unless it stops moving or starts to drop” this eliminates spotters helping.

“don’t touch the bar” is unambiguous

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    You'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    If there is a scale nearby, you might weigh the barbells. I have a cheap CAP bar that came with a Sears set of weights. It appears to be a regular Olympic style bar, but it weighs in at 40 lbs.
    I had the same one, when I bought a proper bar it took me two workouts to figure out why I'd gotten weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    I used to have this same issue, now I always instruct my spotter “don’t touch the bar unless it stops moving or starts to drop” this eliminates spotters helping.

I tell rando spotters the same thing, but I haven't asked randos to spot me in years. Get comfy with some like-minded people and rely on them for spots. Or bench in the racks till the end of time. That'd be my advice to OP.

But yeah, I've had everyone from novices to hot babes steal my last rep. I never ask bodybuilding types, cos I figure they've probably "spotted before". Easier to learn a dog new tricks. I've even had a powerlifter steal my rep. He should know better, so I never ask him to spot me either.

Buncha goons

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    Don't ask for a spotter. Ever. Problem solved.
    You'll get one whether you want one or not.

starting strength coach development program
    In order of preference:
    1) home gym with safety pins - no spotter
    2) public gym with safety pins - no spotter
    3) women seem to actually listen to what you say, especially if they're small, so ask them.
    4) ask someone that you only want a lift off, but that they should stand there in case you die. If they hover, say "fuck off" at the top of the set. I've only had to do this once, but they won't touch the bar. Then apologize after.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast