starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody in my gym doing proper low bar squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Plenty of strong low bar squats to be found at the real training gyms around me. None to be found at the 24 hours, lifetimes, and community rec centers. This isn't really surprising.
    Hasty generalization unless you visited all of them. I assume you haven't because I know of a couple where some low bar squat to depth. Believe it or not some even allow chalk!

I was lifting in my apartment gym. A gentleman with a belt walked in and politely waited for the rack. Out of courtesy, I finished my remaining set with the dumbbells. He began to warm up a Press 2.0. “Hm”, I thought, “he must have read SS.”

Turns out he is an SSC. I learned this a few weeks later, when I saw him in a USSF YouTube stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    They might be "hiding" in their garage, DTP just fine on their own.

But TBQH, I don't think internet hits should be used as the primary way to make big-time business market decisions.
    I know, I'm probably old fashioned and out of touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's not that you're old fashioned. It's that you are willing to assume that you know more than you actually do.

"I think" is a sort of colloquial phrase for 'my opinion'. My second sentence was an admission to not being up to speed on this.
    I'd like to here Ray's thoughts.

And for example, "Starting Strength Austin" has 16 Google reviews and 4.5 stars, but it hasn't even opened the doors yet.
    I'm sure its a fine gym and all ...but you see my point about the internet thing.

It's doors are open. You really don't mind being wrong, do you?

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

But TBQH, I don't think internet hits should be used as the primary way to make big-time business market decisions.
    I know, I'm probably old fashioned and out of touch.
    Decisions need to be made regardless of what data you have at your disposal. Otherwise risks aren't taken and progress isn't made. Higher quantity and/or quality of information = lower risk due to the potential for a higher accuracy decision.

If we know that Starting Strength is unique and better than what the gym market has to offer in terms of its efficacy (impact on health, fitness, performance and is accessible to anyone), we could make a market decision on that alone. People bring new products and ideas to market all the time. If they're significantly better than what's already out there, and marketed well, they're often successful.

We have that. And we have 3/4M book sales. And we had 6.1M hits to the website last year. And we know what cities have the highest proportion of those people. And we know that visitors look at around three pages per visit and spend around three minutes on site (which is really damn unusual in 2019). And we know there are active communities of people all over the web discussing how to do Starting Strength. And there are affiliates and unaffiliated gyms across the country offering Starting Strength successfully. And we know that SS Austin hasn't had their grand opening yet (soft launch only) and their group training time-slots are selling out.

Should internet hits be used as a primary way to make "big-time business market decisions?" It depends. In our situation is it a relevant data point that can help us quantify demand in a specific city to determine what level of priority to give it? I certainly think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    I'm the guy who wears Starting Strength shirts at my gym. I coach newbies a lot, even friends who ask me to supervise them or teach them how to clean if they're already gymgoers. Everyone I see who squats and then presses and deadlifts usually says they got it from YouTube or Stronglifts or whatever. Never once heard someone tell me they got it from Starting Strength. So I just recommend it to everyone and they always have to save the name in their phone. Don't think many have looked you up, but then I don't see many of them a second time around.

One time a guy was squatting 220 in Adipowers, same as mine. He had probably the worst form of anyone in lifting shoes I have ever seen. His elbows were pointed way up, as was his head but he kept looking forwards into the mirror, as he slowly pushed his hips back as far as they could go, not even close to hitting depth. So one time I walk over to him and go "nice shoes" to break the ice, but he didn't get it. I explained my dumb dad joke to him and he kind of laughed. I then, quite aggressively in hindsight, asked him if he wanted me to teach him how to squat. Somehow I imagined he would be at least curious to hear what I had to say, given that his form was beyond repair. Instead, he laughed and, without any physical gestures since I'm much taller and bigger than he is, he waved me off saying something like "I've been doing this for quite a while". I begged to differ and told him he wasn't hitting depth at all, to which he responded he "worked 14 hours at a desk job and so his hamstrings were tight". He then rambled on about how tight his hamstrings were before coming to a dead stop and I just said alright and left. Haven't seen the guy since, but I doubt he's making progress. He was stuck on 220 for 6 months.

But so far no SS sightings in the wild. I'm the only guy I know who reads and refers to your material. And everyone else in my group just comes to me.
    There are at least two of them in Antwerp

It's doors are open. You really don't mind being wrong, do you?
    But but but, I got my data from the internet.

SSAustin home page say it opens on April 15.

I'm sure they are valid (good) reviews of Starting Strength in general, or Joyce's and Luke's other gym, or what have you.
    But you see my point about internet data?

Starting Strength Austin

Note the date. You're not an impressive intellect, Fulcrum.

. . . or Joyce's and Luke's . . .
    Yeah.

starting strength coach development program
    Starting Strength Austin

Note the date. You're not an impressive intellect, Fulcrum.
    The reviews range from a week ago to 4 years ago. Some impressive foresight that person had to give a 5 star review to a business that won't be open for another 4 years!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast