starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Somebody in my gym doing proper low bar squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Stvn View Post
    There are at least two of them in Antwerp
    Friend of mine still trains in Antwerp, I think. I'd be happy to meet the other one if he's the one you're talking about. Always more room here in Ghent for aspirant strong folk.

Why am I wrong? I am a bad speller, but I stand by my point. The OP started with, "When I began training 18 months ago using the SS method there was literally no one in my gym who knew what ..."

So the thread is about gyms and who's gym has anyone who knows what they are doing. It's not about web statistics, hit counts, or marketing theory.

Also Ghee was an attempt at typing Geesh, once a common expression to exclaim surprise and mild disgust.

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

I was in Milwaukee last week for a conference and saw a low bar squat in the wilderness of Gold’s Gym. No ghee sightings, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Why am I wrong? I am a bad speller, but I stand by my point. The OP started with, "When I began training 18 months ago using the SS method there was literally no one in my gym who knew what ..."

So the thread is about gyms and who's gym has anyone who knows what they are doing. It's not about web statistics, hit counts, or marketing theory.

Also Ghee was an attempt at typing Geesh, once a common expression to exclaim surprise and mild disgust.
    I was kidding, Oso.

I apologize. Some times red bears aren't as bright as the average bear on the street.

When I began Starting Strength two years ago here in Manchester, New Hampshire, there was nobody else doing the movements - at least during my times at the gym. Now, a couple years later, I've got a coach in the area (Tyler Austin), and I've become the guy in my YMCA that other guys ask about what programming I'm doing. More and more, they recognize what I'm doing as the Starting Strength model and are asking for form checks and programming advice. So, I think the word is getting around more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    ... and I found myself constantly accosted by leagues of good Samaritans telling me I would break my back if I didn't get more upright...
    I had an experienced personal trainer (whom I'm friends with, he trains my girlfriend) literally run across the gym to save me from "breaking my back" as I performed my 5-step SS deadlift setup. (He advocated a butt-down, shoulders-high, practically vertical back starting position!) (I have long legs so my deadlift start is with a nearly horizontal back). He also told me to get much more upright on my squats. I told him I followed Starting Strength and he mumbled something about hearing about it but stopped trying to "save me" after that.

I see no signs of SS around me (I live in Russia.) I see lots and lots of high-bar back 1/2 and 3/4 squats, though (sometimes with the bar right up against the neck). I'm almost the only one who deadlifts, and absolutely the only one who benches in racks with safeties. I got tired of competing for rack time with barbell curlers in the commercial gyms (where the racks are sub-optimal anyway, very large spacing), so I ended up putting a Rogue-like rack (narrow spacing in the bench range and flexible belt safeties) in my home and ordering a B&R 2.0 bar (shipping cost more than the bar!).

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLinn View Post
    In Bristol UK, yesterday, I witnessed 3 out of 4 racks being used for The Press, all in the 1-5 rep range. Nearly brought a tear to my eye. I'm used to being the only one pressing.
    I work around the UK and occasionally go to south Brizzal, what's the name of that gym? I'll check it out when I'm back in the area

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson Ball View Post
    I was in Milwaukee last week for a conference and saw a low bar squat in the wilderness of Gold’s Gym. No ghee sightings, though.
    I happened to be in Milwaukee the week of the 25th. I went to the five story Golds along the river. Maybe it was me?

starting strength coach development program
    Workout Harbourside, near King street. It is by no means perfect, but, it has fairly decent racks compared to the rest of the city centre gyms (Puregym, The gym group, fitness4life). It's a local gym, not a chain, so always nice to support a local business. Plus there's a bar so you can have a post training pint...which should be a feature of all gyms haha!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast