starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody in my gym doing proper low bar squats

Default Somebody in my gym doing proper low bar squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When I began training 18 months ago using the SS method there was literally no one in my gym who knew what a LBC was and I found myself constantly accosted by leagues of good Samaritans telling me I would break my back if I didn't get more upright. I politely refused their advice and after a year they finally gave up trying.

Yesterday was revelatory. I watched a guy on the next stand perform a beautiful LBS. I noted he also wore proper squat shoes on. After a few minutes chat he confirmed he was following the SS method. So it looks as if the tide is turning. Apparently there are also a couple of guys walking around my home town in Starting Strength tee shirts, so it appears narrowcasting is finally paying off in the far flung reaches of Northern Europe.

Amazing. Momentum? Anybody else have a sighting?

No sightings, I had someone look at my do-wins while I was squatting and told me I was going to hurt myself and throw off my center of gravity and needed to buy some chucks. He then went to the leg press machine and even managed to half rep those 🤷*♂️.

I'm the guy who wears Starting Strength shirts at my gym. I coach newbies a lot, even friends who ask me to supervise them or teach them how to clean if they're already gymgoers. Everyone I see who squats and then presses and deadlifts usually says they got it from YouTube or Stronglifts or whatever. Never once heard someone tell me they got it from Starting Strength. So I just recommend it to everyone and they always have to save the name in their phone. Don't think many have looked you up, but then I don't see many of them a second time around.

One time a guy was squatting 220 in Adipowers, same as mine. He had probably the worst form of anyone in lifting shoes I have ever seen. His elbows were pointed way up, as was his head but he kept looking forwards into the mirror, as he slowly pushed his hips back as far as they could go, not even close to hitting depth. So one time I walk over to him and go "nice shoes" to break the ice, but he didn't get it. I explained my dumb dad joke to him and he kind of laughed. I then, quite aggressively in hindsight, asked him if he wanted me to teach him how to squat. Somehow I imagined he would be at least curious to hear what I had to say, given that his form was beyond repair. Instead, he laughed and, without any physical gestures since I'm much taller and bigger than he is, he waved me off saying something like "I've been doing this for quite a while". I begged to differ and told him he wasn't hitting depth at all, to which he responded he "worked 14 hours at a desk job and so his hamstrings were tight". He then rambled on about how tight his hamstrings were before coming to a dead stop and I just said alright and left. Haven't seen the guy since, but I doubt he's making progress. He was stuck on 220 for 6 months.

But so far no SS sightings in the wild. I'm the only guy I know who reads and refers to your material. And everyone else in my group just comes to me.

I also live in Northern Europe. I see low bar squats at my (chain) gym routinely; I've also spotted a couple of guys doing the SS program. There are even a couple of geniuses that bench in the rack with safeties.

Giving unsolicited gym advice is kinda like unsolicited political or religious advice. No matter how good intentions are most folks don’t want to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Amazing. Momentum? Anybody else have a sighting?
    Na. I been using Reddit since this forum isn't so good for trolling anymore, I assure you the average gym goer is just as dumb if not dumber than ever.

When I actually went to a commercial gym, there wasn't anyone else that did low bar, but there was one other person that was familiar with it and wasn't negative about it at all. In fact he would give me kudos for my low bar.

Now I train in my garage and don't have any problems finding people that low bar in my gym. All two regular members do it. There is one other person that doesn't but he isn't a permanent member anyway.

Reporting from Jackson, MS, where I train in a large globo gym, and last week I couldn't help but notice the girl in the squat rack next to me was squatting, then pressing, then deadlifting. I asked what program she's following and she pulled up the SS app on her phone. First one I've encountered in the wild. So there are at least two of us here. Normally I'm asked what program I'm following and when I say Starting Strength I get a blank stare and a shrug.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Anybody else have a sighting?
    I have had a sightings in an absolute garbage globo $10 a month gym/ (there are a few really strong dude in there though) I mentioned SS after seeing the individual knock out sets of 5 with 335. He didn't want to talk about it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast