starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about wrist rehabilitation?

Default Does anyone know anything about wrist rehabilitation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, Rip

I've been in a bad mood lately because I hurt my wrist a little while preparing for the police exam(because of hand gripper). I got hurt around January, but I still don't feel completely better.

There is no pain in everyday life or in various barbell training(Squat, Press, Bench press ...even hand gripper...), but when I do push-ups or power clean movement, my wrist is pulled back, I feel some little pain.

I don't think there's a problem if the proctor allows me to do fist push-ups, but they don't.

I think many of your students or people here have experienced similar problems.

Do you have any wrist rehabilitation or flexibility training you recommend? And did anyone who read this article have the same experience as me? If you've solved the pain, I'd like you to share a way.

This is really a pushups question. I think you just deal with the pain and do the test.

Recently, I've had some wrist pains develop in my right wrist cos I kept holding the right shift key and pressing "i" to capitalise it all with the same hand in a way that would turn my hand sideways into my wrist. Kept doing it for a while and then my wrist would hurt during the day. As for rehab, I just stopped doing this while typing and just kept lifting. The only thing I changed was my grip on barbell rows from a supine to a prone grip. Doing them supine hurt real bad. Everything else worked just fine, so I kept doing it. Over the weeks, it's slowly gone away. Sometimes it would hurt after a set of presses, or right before the first set of chins, but I tried to just ignore it and not do any tennis ball tooty fruity routine.

One thing that did help in some very acute cases, like first thing in the morning, was put my wrist wrap on and wrap it over and around my hand, like how a lot of powerlifters wear them. Then take it off a couple minutes later and it'd be better. Other than that, just truck along and it'll get better. Don't do anything special, just keep lifting and don't put it in painful positions.

Have you tried to reposition your hands, instead of straight with your body, if possible cock the heals of your hands a little bit (palms facing at 5 and 7 o’clock instead of both at 6)This may allow you to complete the depth of your push-up and minimize flection in the wrist (maybe) . If you are benching right, you shouldn’t have to train pushups much and still be able to pass. Other than that you are gonna have to suck it up

I developed wrist pain that I think was carpal tunnel related, which caused me to be unable to do push-ups with my hand flat without significant pain. I adjusted by getting up on my fingers some, with the pads of my palm (at the base of the fingers where you get calluses) being on the ground but the rest of the hand raised up to keep the wrist relatively straight. I also rotated my hands out a bit too, which maybe helped some too. I've done push-ups like that for years now with no problem, but still can feel pain if I try to put my hand flat.

I ended up with “trigger finger” from cocking a clay pigeon trap about a 1000 times Christmas Day while shooting with my daughters.

It kept hanging on and just wouldn’t finish healing so I finally broke down and went to my orthopedic doc

He shot some cortisone in it and it finally healed the rest of the way

You may have developed a small tumor in your wrist joint that causes the pain when your wrist is extended like it is in a push up or power clean. I have one in each wrist. Flex your wrist and see if you notice that a small bump emerges on top of the joint. Mine are the size of a marble. There is no known cause beyond bad luck, and they only hurt when the wrist is extended under a heavy load. The doctors tell me they can go away by themselves. Might also be a small ganglion cyst, which can be drained to relieve pain. Hard=tumor, soft=cyst.

In one of the many fitness phases of my life, I spent a couple of years doing gymnastics/calisthenics type exercises. Spent a lot of time on my hands working on handstands, planches, and pushup variations. Gymnasts spend a ton of time upside down on their hands, so put a lot of focus on keeping their wrists healthy. At one of the classes I used to go to we'd do a bunch of things like this.

YouTube

That's just one example. There are many more on YouTube. Not sure how they'd work for rehab, as it was meant more as "prehab", but I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

OP- Many moons ago a guy pulled out in front of me and I t-boned him at ~50mph. I had a death grip on the steering wheel at impact. Those airbags operate fast. Between the impact and the airbag inflating my wrists took some damage. I missed a week of work but couldn't afford to miss any more than that. At the time I was working as an electrician and trying to work with hand tools was extremely painful. Prior to the injury I could knock out 135 pushups in one set. After the injury the pain was too great to do one. Fist pushups were fine, just had to keep the wrists straight. It gradually got better over time but even years later I would occasionally have sharp pain and involuntarily drop whatever I was holding. Fast forward a few years and my younger brother developed a nasty case of self-diagnosed carpel tunnel. After struggling with it for a year I suggested he try ART therapy after reading an article on it. Turns out he didn't have carpel tunnel and one 15 minute session of ART therapy and he was good as new. I often wondered if ART therapy would have helped my wrists following my injury. Maybe it can help you in your case. If it doesn't you wouldn't be out much time or money.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    After struggling with it for a year I suggested he try ART therapy after reading an article on it. Turns out he didn't have carpel tunnel and one 15 minute session of ART therapy and he was good as new. I often wondered if ART therapy would have helped my wrists following my injury. Maybe it can help you in your case. If it doesn't you wouldn't be out much time or money.
    What is the smart people on the boards opinion on Active Release and Myofascial release etc. these days for the average trainee?
    I had seen it advocated around here by coaches years back when it was more of a fad, often compared to massage/chiro or even just as a placebo 'if it works for you whatever, great'. I gave it a try quite a few times on a few different injuries and it seems like 100% horseshit other than a nice warmup, some easy endorphins and perversions of pain/pleasure receptors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast