starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone know anything about wrist rehabilitation?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    ...other than a nice warmup, some easy endorphins and perversions of pain/pleasure receptors.
    Maybe add in some temporary pain modulation from the higher pain centers......that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    What is the smart people on the boards opinion on Active Release and Myofascial release etc. these days for the average trainee?
    I had seen it advocated around here by coaches years back when it was more of a fad, often compared to massage/chiro or even just as a placebo 'if it works for you whatever, great'. I gave it a try quite a few times on a few different injuries and it seems like 100% horseshit other than a nice warmup, some easy endorphins and perversions of pain/pleasure receptors.
    My suspicion is you haven't had a serious release. A true release causes visions of Torquemada which are better viewed through the lens of a few sips of whiskey. If done properly you will confess to sins you never had the pleasure of committing.

My therapist finally got me to squat without endless empty bar warm ups and lots of naughty words. There were times I levitated off the table from the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Maybe add in some temporary pain modulation from the higher pain centers......that's about it.
    Good to know I didn't miss out on a treatment with much chance of benefit. It worked wonders for my brother, maybe that was just a result of placebo vs pain. That does have some research behind it (doesn't everything these days?) https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa013259. It's also interesting how acupuncture made a comeback under chairman Mao because it was cheap and made the masses think they were getting healthcare.

I wouldn't recommend this, but what healed a lingering wrist injury of mine was completely tearing my rotator cuff. By the time I got back to doing reasonable weights, my wrist was fine.

How do you think that worked, Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you think that worked, Dave?
    Rest for the wrist, I assume.

It must have been a scaphoid fracture, because layoffs don't heal tendon issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It must have been a scaphoid fracture, because layoffs don't heal tendon issues.
    It's possible, I suppose, but I had my wrist x-rayed at a clinic after I injured it, and they didn't see a fracture. They also sent it to a radiologist, but since I didn't hear anything back from them, I assumed he didn't see anything either.

I can tell you how I injured my wrist, if that helps. I was doing power snatches, and at the top, I think I held on to the bar too tightly with my right hand as I unracked it.

starting strength coach development program
    Scaphoid fractures are very hard to see on x-ray. But I don't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12