starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Possible Acid Reflux

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can't recommend a prescription PPI. Not at all.
    I was on a PPI for years, when my (new, young) doctor suggested perhaps I should reconsider. I re-did my ancient research and was aghast. They are seriously bad. In that new research I learned a shocking thing: Our stomachs are supposed to be acidic. Tums and such things are working against nature. The problem is the ineffectual sphincter as Mark said. For me, finding the dietary cause of excess pressure (my term, not official language) in my belly was key. That was a long path for me and probably has to be a path that you alone can decipher.

One thing works for me that is easy enough to test: I lift in the evening after a nice cup of coffee. Sometimes I feel as if my stomach may give me trouble but I'm not cutting out the coffee. The solution: about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in enough water to make it tolerable to drink. Who knows why it works? My theory: our stomach is supposed to be acidic, giving it a bit of a kick with the vinegar either helps it re-establish its natural state or perhaps pokes the sphincter a bit so it tightens.

I had reflux for years. A couple of years ago I underwent a laparoscopic procedure called lower esophageal enhancement with LINX. It is basically a ring of magnets encased in titanium on a stainless steel wire that is placed around the lower esophageal sphincter. It keeps the sphincter closed until you swallow something. A small hernia was repaired at the same time. Since then, absolutely no reflux.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I had reflux for years. A couple of years ago I underwent a laparoscopic procedure called lower esophageal enhancement with LINX. It is basically a ring of magnets encased in titanium on a stainless steel wire that is placed around the lower esophageal sphincter. It keeps the sphincter closed until you swallow something. A small hernia was repaired at the same time. Since then, absolutely no reflux.
    This surgery has been pitched to me due to chronic (supposed) reflux from a lax GE valve and/or hiatal hernia. What was your experience (scarring, procedure, recovery, etc.)? Did you have to go through the pre-surgery acid monitoring? The whole thing sounded like a damn headache when it was pitched to me 2 years ago. Hopefully this isn’t typical doctor knee-jerk shit. Been taking Prilosec daily for a number of years and it helps somewhat.

I’m a busy guy so the problem with this and training is getting in enough food by (ideally) 6 or 7pm so I don’t sleep like shit or throw up in my mouth at the gym.

For me it’s mashed potatoes. They are a definite no-no for dinner. Track down your particular offending food and quit eating it.

This may not be a very popular opinion on this board, but quitting caffeine was life-changing for me. Caffeine relaxes the sphincter and worsens the situation.
    Considering that Americans drink a LOT of coffee, this may really suck for you. Caffeine drawback is definitely real, so expect headaches and foul moods, but it clears itself out in a week or less. I suggest you give it a try.

Also included here is soda, but you should quit soda anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by M.U.S.C.L.E. View Post
    This surgery has been pitched to me due to chronic (supposed) reflux from a lax GE valve and/or hiatal hernia. What was your experience (scarring, procedure, recovery, etc.)? Did you have to go through the pre-surgery acid monitoring? The whole thing sounded like a damn headache when it was pitched to me 2 years ago. Hopefully this isn’t typical doctor knee-jerk shit. Been taking Prilosec daily for a number of years and it helps somewhat.

I’m a busy guy so the problem with this and training is getting in enough food by (ideally) 6 or 7pm so I don’t sleep like shit or throw up in my mouth at the gym.
    Yes acid monitoring is required but that is only swallowing a capsule and wearing a monitor for 24 hours. You also have to get esophageal swallowing pressure checked, which is quick but a little uncomfortable, as it requires that a tube be threaded down through the nose to the esophagus. The actual surgery is done under anesthesia but does not require hospitalization. Scarring is very minimal; just some small puncture wounds that are almost invisible when healed. The hardest part of recovery is eating slowly and chewing thoroughly for a few weeks. After that no pills and no reflux and eat whatever you want.

I have a friend who had this procedure done a few weeks ago. He has not had a good outcome.

A Nissan fundoplication is a permanent solution to reflux.

Nissen. Nissan makes cars. It's also a very big problem if you need to vomit, like when you get food poisoning.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nissen. Nissan makes cars. It's also a very big problem if you need to vomit, like when you get food poisoning.
    I’ve been there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast