starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Possible Acid Reflux

Default Help with Possible Acid Reflux

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think I might have developed acid reflux, and so am looking for some insight into what the likely triggers are and whether they are even worth trying to eliminate.

For a couple of years I have experienced a dry cough that comes from my throat rather than lungs if I am not asleep within about 10 minutes of going to bed. I put that down to the development of allergies that I have also snuck up on me over the last few years. However, recently I have noticed I am periodically experiencing a burning sensation in my stomach that kicks in first thing in the morning and after dinner when I’m settling in before going to bed. I suspect this is probably Acid Reflux.

It isn’t too bad, but I have noticed that it has been associated with a change in my digestion. I had a change of work about 12 months ago that now requires long hours in the office and so am now having to train first thing in the morning (up at 4:30 or 5:00am). 10 years ago when I last regularly trained before work I could wake up, quickly chug 2 cups of coffee, knock back some whey protein (concentrate), have a quality BM and be out of the house within about 15 minutes. Now I have had to return to this schedule it takes me about an hour to get out of the house as I often have to shit as many as 3 times before I feel comfortable to go and train.

If this is just a general age-related change in digestive function, then ce la vie (I was 40 last year). However, resolving it would be nice, if only for the extra 30 minutes in bed it would give me.

Some of my thoughts on what might be triggering it and what I can do to avoid it are:

- Coffee: I cannot realistically eliminate this and still train productively that early. I have considered other forms of caffeine but coffee is convenient because my coffee maker is programmed and so is waiting for me freshly brewed when I wake up. If I switched to tea it would take 20 minutes to get the caffeine ready to be consumed. I have switched to low acid coffee, but haven’t noticed a change

- Whey: I am kind of cheap and so buy the cheapest I can find (concentrate). It is possible switching to isolate might be beneficial, but I don’t appear to present with any other lactose or milk related issues.

- Eggs: they are quick, easy and meet the nutritional requirements and so I have them as my main protein source in the evening a lot. If after dinner is when I experience some of the symptoms then could I have developed an issue with eggs?

I know this board will be full of people who have developed this sort of issue and found ways to deal with it so wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Do you happen to be taking any Tadalafil? Ever?

Never. Yet.

Then, eggs in the evening are a bad idea, lots of people have trouble digesting the damn things. Beans, likewise. Whey isolate is much easier to digest, and certainly worth the extra money under these circumstances. First thing to try is 150mg ranitidine right after you eat at night before you go to bed. You'll know if this works the first time you try it. I think it's the eggs.

Blaming the eggs is legitimately crushing. I'll skip the eggs for dinner for a few days and see if it clears up.

ThanksIMG_1421.jpg

This may be why everybody eats them in the morning.

If this really bothers you, I can recommend nexium. It's 1 pill in the morning before you eat, and it significantly improves the rest of your day.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    I think I might have developed acid reflux, and so am looking for some insight into what the likely triggers are and whether they are even worth trying to eliminate.

For a couple of years I have experienced a dry cough that comes from my throat rather than lungs if I am not asleep within about 10 minutes of going to bed. I put that down to the development of allergies that I have also snuck up on me over the last few years. However, recently I have noticed I am periodically experiencing a burning sensation in my stomach that kicks in first thing in the morning and after dinner when I’m settling in before going to bed. I suspect this is probably Acid Reflux.
    I've dealt with bad reflux for many years now that flares up substantially when I lie down to go to bed. If you don't have any success with the dietary modifications you can try propping the head of your bed up several inches. This seems to offer me some relief. Rip's suggestion of ranitidine works for me as do the standard tums type antacids if you need immediate relief so you can get on with what you're doing.

At the end of the day the only thing that makes my reflux go away for good is significant dietary changes. Not eating too soon before bed sure seems to help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    If this really bothers you, I can recommend nexium. It's 1 pill in the morning before you eat, and it significantly improves the rest of your day.
    I can't recommend a prescription PPI. Not at all. They are expensive as hell, and believe it or not, they have chronic side effects. There are far better ways to manage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I've dealt with bad reflux for many years now that flares up substantially when I lie down to go to bed. If you don't have any success with the dietary modifications you can try propping the head of your bed up several inches. This seems to offer me some relief. Rip's suggestion of ranitidine works for me as do the standard tums type antacids if you need immediate relief so you can get on with what you're doing.

At the end of the day the only thing that makes my reflux go away for good is significant dietary changes. Not eating too soon before bed sure seems to help as well.
    There are substances and pathologies that affect the tone of your lower esophageal sphincter, which is a separate issue from the overproduction of gastric acid. Given an inability to resolve the LES problem, reduction of the acid is the only option, but it's not a fix.

starting strength coach development program
    I have had very good success with homemade kefir for curing my chronic acid reflux. It’s a bit of a hassle to make but the store bought stuff doesn’t work for me and neither do probiotics. It has worked on two separate occasions with six years in between.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast