starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valsalva, Belly Breathing & Dizziness

Default Valsalva, Belly Breathing & Dizziness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Coach Rip,

There are a lot of videos and articles on the internet which emphasize breathing in your belly for the Valsalva.

LINKS REMOVED. NOT GOING TO CONTRIBUTE CLICKS.

I tried doing that and I found my lower spine to be hyperextended by sticking my belly out.

After the lift I experienced dizziness, headaches and weakness in parts of my body.

The book clearly states to expand the thoracic cavity and when I breathe into my chest everything works perfectly fine.

Id like to know why they advocate belly breathing.

They seem to have not attended school, where you learn that air goes into the lungs. Air in your belly is a burp (assuming that "belly" means stomach -- if it doesn't, back to school anyway). Breathing into the "belly" is a cue, even if it is a bad one. It is not anatomy.

Thank you coach Rip. Id like to express my gratitude to you for teaching me true meaning of strength and fitness.

Theres a lack of fitness knowledge in India and the Indian fitness industry is highly geared towards Weider based fitness.

Id like to see a Starting Strength gym here in India and be an SSC some day.

Thanks again for your marvellous work. Cheers

Can I add-having experienced near fainting on the press-be careful not to hyperventilate on the approach to the lift. The stress of lifting a heavy weight can result in that kind of rapid breathing before one jumps into freezing cold water. Approach the lift breathing gently and normally, then one valsalva breath just before the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Can I add-having experienced near fainting on the press-be careful not to hyperventilate on the approach to the lift. The stress of lifting a heavy weight can result in that kind of rapid breathing before one jumps into freezing cold water. Approach the lift breathing gently and normally, then one valsalva breath just before the lift.
    I agree with you completely. Breathing too quickly before the lift caused me headaches too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They seem to have not attended school, where you learn that air goes into the lungs. Air in your belly is a burp (assuming that "belly" means stomach -- if it doesn't, back to school anyway). Breathing into the "belly" is a cue, even if it is a bad one. It is not anatomy.
    I guess take a big breath in your chest gently would be the right cue then.

I have found it to be exceedingly unnecessary to tell my lifter where to put the air. We all breathe, and we're all experienced with the process. I have found that "Big breath" or Big air" works every single time it's tried.

Always knew that Rip was in the pockets of Big Air. Wake up, sheeple!

Are nose bleeds normal for a heavy deadlift with a correct valsalva maneuver?

No, they aren't. If you have a nosebleed under load, you have a vascular problem in your nasal mucosa.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, they aren't. If you have a nosebleed under load, you have a vascular problem in your nasal mucosa.
    Sorry, what I meant was there would be increase pressure in the nasal area/mucosa when a valsava maneuver is performed correctly?

The way I ensure I am pushing against my glottis is to open my mouth when performing Valsava. I assume this is correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast