starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trap Bar Deadlift Question for a Prior Injury (Bilateral Pars Fracture)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Stop doing all this endurance shit, start training for strength, and get up to 155 as fast as you can.
    I am still a really wormy looking dude at 165-170 and I am not but an inch taller than Iron_G. He might be better off at 185.

Quote Originally Posted by _Iron_G98;1734886.
    I wrestled back in high school (3 years, lightweight) and following that I enlisted into the Naval Delayed Entry Program as a Navy SEAL candidate with almost no rest in between . During my senior year, preparing for BUD/S training had become my full-time job; as I ran/swam 3-4 times a week, lifted 3 times a week, kettlebell and calisthenics training around 2-3 times a week. Around 6 weeks from my service report date was when the injury was discovered and my orders for BUD/S was cancelled and being disqualified from service. Not to give away too much of myself, but the triathlon part is new as I just wrapped up my first race two weeks ago and will be having several more until October. My routine right now is: swim 2-3 times a week, bike + run 2 times a week, strength training 1-2 times a week, as well as 1-2 rest days a week..
    So its worse than we Thought. Lightweight HS Wrestling, swimming and military “hoo rah” activities are all extremely catabolic lifestyles, and you are now experiencing the fallout. Stop running away/swimming away from all the bad touches your step daddy did. You need to aggressively rethink your notions of fitness from “be less so i can do more” to something like “become more so i can do more”. At your current rate of “progress” you'll weigh 95 pounds in a coffin. Feast fuck fight and deadlift. Don't stop at 155. Big Tit magazine centerfolds weigh 155, not men.

One more casualty of High School Wrestling Coaches. It's as bad as ballet.

One more casualty of High School Wrestling Coaches. It's as bad as ballet.
    I started wrestling as freshman in HS 1988. I was 5' 9" 160lbs and 2 weeks in of vigorous training the coach tells me I need to go on a diet to cut weight. I told my Dad that night at dinner and he instantly says " your done with wresting" and that was that. I'm glad now he had the foresight not to go along with the BS of asking a growing (ended up 6'1") adolescent to lose weight.

Well Rip, at least ballet doesn’t have 2 dudes rubbing butts to nuts while wearing tights

I know women who have been instructed to start smoking by their dance teachers. For weight control.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    I started wrestling as freshman in HS 1988. I was 5' 9" 160lbs and 2 weeks in of vigorous training the coach tells me I need to go on a diet to cut weight. I told my Dad that night at dinner and he instantly says " your done with wresting" and that was that. I'm glad now he had the foresight not to go along with the BS of asking a growing (ended up 6'1") adolescent to lose weight.
    Thank god I played football in high school. 1st thing the coach said was "there will be no dieting while you play football". I could just see the fat lineman kids licking their lips This was because we trained our asses off and needed every calorie we could get just to maintain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    So its worse than we Thought. Lightweight HS Wrestling, swimming and military “hoo rah” activities are all extremely catabolic lifestyles, and you are now experiencing the fallout. Stop running away/swimming away from all the bad touches your step daddy did. You need to aggressively rethink your notions of fitness from “be less so i can do more” to something like “become more so i can do more”. At your current rate of “progress” you'll weigh 95 pounds in a coffin. Feast fuck fight and deadlift. Don't stop at 155. Big Tit magazine centerfolds weigh 155, not men.
    Reflecting on it, I should've done the weight lifting class instead. Recently I talked to a couple of my buddies who became SEALs and they told me similar, to just worry on getting stronger and useful rather than being a toothpick and useless.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    How did you respond to that? Just "Ok dad"?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    I know women who have been instructed to start smoking by their dance teachers. For weight control.
    I know smoking was much more socially acceptable and actually recommended by doctors some decades ago, was this when that happened?

I can't imagine this advice be given today. Holy fuck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast