starting strength gym

Thread: Black-out with belted Deadlifts

Default Black-out with belted Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I never get this problem with un-belted Deadlifts. With belted Deadlifts, I get the dizziness/fade-out/black-out feeling in my head almost every time when lifting 100+ kg, and usually at first rep. When I start getting the feeling, I put it back down quickly, just not to pass out, for safety. I feel a huge rapid blood-flow into my head after starting to hold my breath before the rep.

Not sure what is the problem.
    Too tight belt? Too big breath? Performing valsalva wrong?

Thanks!

I have said this before, and I'm serious: I have never blacked out during a deadlift. I don't know how you're managing to do this unless your valsalva is held in your mouth instead of your throat. Look up the previous discussion.

If you feel like you're gonna pass out, you should release the pressure slowly, not quickly. Put the bar down and release the slack in the bar slowly. It's the rush from the quick release that causes it....if it's even gonna happen in the first place. You'll notice people that pass out tend to pass out after standing back up when their lift is done.
    That being said, there can be a variety of reasons that could be happening, including the possibility of just not holding your valsalva correctly. I've seen people pass out doing it properly, but it's an exception, not a rule. If doable maybe get your deadlift checked by a local SSC.

I’ve blacked out during deadlifts before. I finished the set.

But it’s not necessary. I lift more weight now and have not had this problem in over a year. If I were you, I would get my form checked.

I used to get really lightheaded and uncomfortable with a belt on deadlifts.

Andy Bolton basically called me fat at a seminar workshop. That's when I realised I was actually in fact way fatter than I needed to be.

Don't wear a Belt?

What’s your diet like? I had never experienced this until last fall when I was trying to cut and then maintain weight for a meet. I started getting light headed every deadlift session. Now that I’m back in caloric surplus it doesn’t happen anymore. Nothing else has changed; belt tightness, bracing technique, etc.

Thanks for help!
    What I did was put belt less tightly and take a little smaller breath. After a couple of workouts, I have not gotten it anymore. Since I had not done belted deadlifts for 9 months, I think I just was not adapted to the higher bloodpressure inside my head due to stronger valsalva, and now I have triggered the adaptation. The rhythm of reps seems to play a part as well - the time the weight lays on the ground between reps, while I take a breath and reset my back. I developed a rhythm that works for me.

starting strength coach development program
    I have no idea if this is causative, but how tight is your belt? I ask because I’ve been bewildered at some folks “vacuuming” and tightening their belt to that...