starting strength gym
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: A Lie Agreed Upon: Trans-women in Women's Sports

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    SJWs always project...

Finally got a chance to listen. Fun podcast.

The whole issue addressed in the first one: a very well-argued and cogent point about athletic competition and fairness. Nicely done in the best tradition of Rippetonian cantankerousness to a case in dire need of the clarity.

A bit sad to see the "Yeah! What is all this gender-confusion, trans blah-blah bullshit about, anyway? Just a bunch of progressive, politically correct, sloppy thinking do-gooders -- ergh -- go get 'em Rip!" in some of the responses. I guess those of us concerned about this kind of block-headed confusion will have to content ourselves with Brodie's very articulate responses. Just sayin' I don't think it would dilute Rip's point to try to also distinguish himself clearly from that way of thinking, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We would not under any circumstances dis-affiliate any gym based on their decision to allow a transgendered person to join or to not join, since it is none of our business.
    This is the main thing I wanted to know. Thanks for clarifying that you think it's acceptable for a starting strength affiliate gym to ban trans athletes from membership. This is not likely to have happened, but it's probably safe to say that if a trans person has a problem in a gym with your brand on the label that you'll offer no recourse.

I read this article for preparation for the podcast. It is linked on the podcast post. I found it unpersuasive, since I explicitly stated in the podcast that you did not watch or listen to that I was not referring to intersex athletes.
    If you intended to link it in the podcast, it's neither attached to the youtube post nor to A Lie Agreed Upon - Trans Women in Women's Sports | Starting Strength Radio #1

Must have fallen off somewhere.

Wonderful first post.
    I'm sure he/she identifies as someone able to pull at least 700lbs off the floor.

Very good podcast and something I think about as the father of two young girls. This is the kind of stuff that podcasts should be about, not safe topics that no one cares about, otherwise why do it? There is no competition for biological women where trans women are competing. Why is that not clear? Unfortunately, it seems like there will be no competition for biological women, because it looks like we're doing this, whether you like it or not.

Divisions:
    a. Open: Congenital male, transgender, non-binary, and intersex lifters
    b. Women: Congenital females
    I think the above is an elegant, inclusive and fair solution, so much so that I can't believe I have never seen it suggested anywhere before.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkbmiller View Post
    If you intended to link it in the podcast, it's neither attached to the youtube post nor to A Lie Agreed Upon - Trans Women in Women's Sports | Starting Strength Radio #1

Must have fallen off somewhere.
    My sincerest apologies.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by clarkbmiller View Post
    This is the main thing I wanted to know. Thanks for clarifying that you think it's acceptable for a starting strength affiliate gym to ban trans athletes from membership. This is not likely to have happened, but it's probably safe to say that if a trans person has a problem in a gym with your brand on the label that you'll offer no recourse.
    Provide a single example of a Starting Strength gym banning someone from membership on the basis of gender identity. Or for that matter sexual orientation. Time to put up, or take back your complaining about solutions in search of problems.

As I said earlier, folks...there are many out there who will criticize Rip no matter what he does or says. Comes with the territory of being successful I guess. If Rip says he personally wouldn’t deny service to a transgender person but other businesses can do so (you know, the libertarian view...businesses and customers both determine who they want to do business with), he’ll be criticized for allowing that in principle. If Rip says he disapproves of denying a transgender person a membership, he’ll be criticized for not putting it in a formal written policy. If Rip puts it in a formal written policy, he’ll be criticized for not extending that principle to competition. And all this without a single example of a transgender person being denied coaching by any SSC, at any time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post

As I said earlier, folks...there are many out there who will criticize Rip no matter what he does or says. Comes with the territory of being successful I guess. If Rip says he personally wouldn’t deny service to a transgender person but other businesses can do so (you know, the libertarian view...businesses and customers both determine who they want to do business with), he’ll be criticized for allowing that in principle. If Rip says he disapproves of denying a transgender person a membership, he’ll be criticized for not putting it in a formal written policy. If Rip puts it in a formal written policy, he’ll be criticized for not extending that principle to competition. And all this without a single example of a transgender person being denied coaching by any SSC, at any time.
    Kinda like the thought crime of a hate crime. Murky thinking applied as an ointment to hurt feelings. Not unlike the use of Preparation H for butt-hurt.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast