starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip at PJ Media: Apprenticeship

Excellent article. As parents to two young children, we set aside a significant part of our salary every year for their future college education. For what exactly .... we no longer know.

Superb article.

The more the government enables students to take loans they won’t be able to pay off, the more colleges respond to that windfall by raising prices to hire more sub-under-assistants to the acting-vice-dean of the there-are-100-genders department. Lowering tuition prices is somehow never an option.

It’s the effort by the government to “help” that’s making it worse, as you say, Rip.

Get the government out of this business, students will have to make better financial decisions, prices will drop, and a bunch of woke leftists administrators will have to find honest work.

I think college is becoming unfashionable. We're trying to help this happen.

Particularly liked the description of a difficult engineering major. Even when that industry slows down, (whether electrical, mechanical, nuclear) the skills acquired and demonstrated through the tough calc and physics sources are worth it. Such knowledge is transferrable to other domains which may not be obvious at first glance.

For example, the moment diagrams and conceptual understanding of vertical bar path and COM which amazed me in SS 3rd Edition would likely not have been a foundation of the model unless Rip took those difficult Newtonian physics courses, strength of materials, etc.

The logic and physics of the SS model is what has separated the program from any competitors. A Young Rip would have thought those difficult courses went to waste when he first bought WFAC but they ended up making all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    For example, the moment diagrams and conceptual understanding of vertical bar path and COM which amazed me in SS 3rd Edition would likely not have been a foundation of the model . . .

The logic and physics of the SS model is what has separated the program from any competitors.
    Quoted for profound truth. My grasp of the above was, and is, shaky at best even now. The geometry of the models was far easier. But then geometry was the only math course I didn't suck in too badly.

Last but not least, understanding and applying the concept of moment arm was a HUGE leap forward for me in applying and understanding what was really going on in the martial art I practice and now teach. I use it to explain to my students why what they do works at all, let alone as well as it does. Admittedly, it took years for me to process the concept and I still have some ways to go in further applying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Quoted for profound truth. My grasp of the above was, and is, shaky at best even now. The geometry of the models was far easier. But then geometry was the only math course I didn't suck in too badly.

Last but not least, understanding and applying the concept of moment arm was a HUGE leap forward for me in applying and understanding what was really going on in the martial art I practice and now teach. I use it to explain to my students why what they do works at all, let alone as well as it does. Admittedly, it took years for me to process the concept and I still have some ways to go in further applying it.
    The ability to apply fundamental concepts across unlikely domains is what defines a great thinker. The ability to synthesize- not analyze the differences but to synthesize what is common between disparate subjects is the key. Rip did it with engineering concepts applied to strength training. One of my heroes, Col John Boyd USAF did it as well, from dogfighting in jets to extrapolating to many other areas.

I always enjoy your articles. But why do you have a copy of _Women's voices, feminist visions: classic and contemporary readings_ on hand?

On hand?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    On hand?
    I, too, am offended by the cavalierly ableist comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast