starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back Tweak Confusion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What is the physiological mechanism that causes muscle cramps?

My personal experience with "back tweaks" is that they are caused by a cramp or spasm in my hip muscles psoas, tfl, glut etc. Generally takes several days of lacrosse ball torture and light stretching (while continuing to train of course) to get everything straightened out maybe by encouraging blood flow?

Regardless it still seems to happen occasionally regardless of what "preventative" measures I take...

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    My layman's theory is that a lot of muscle-related pain is the body going into a protective mode. When it senses that a muscle might get torn, the muscle spasms, locking up and sending you a pain signal so that you don't push further. So working the same muscle through a safe range of motion, under load, convinces the body that the muscle can move safely without getting hurt. The body therefore relaxes the protective spasm and the pain goes away.
    I agree much with what Tom says here.

The non-layman's explanation that encapsulates a good part of this is described by the biopsychosocial (BPS) model of pain. There might be biomechanical factors involved in the OPs situation but there might be little contribution from those aspects as well.

See:
    Aches and Pains | Austin Baraki

Doing a set of the same movement that caused an aggravation if perceived and interpreted by the nervous system to be 'safe' can "re-calibrate" the nervous system's response of what is perceived as threatening essentially de-sensitive the 'perturbation' to eventually reduce the 'pain' / 'spasm' / "guarding"/ "protecting-mode."

The reason why the 'protect' happens on the first set according to BPS theory is ultimately multifaceted. It can be difficult to pinpoint what was the reason for the pain that begins from the squat set, but again, it is likely a combination of factors, the contribution of which might be different on each given occasion that triggered that response.

e.g. as a silly example: the OP might have had a stressful day + poor sleep the previous 2 nights + been holding a postural position for an unusually long time at work earlier in the day (which induced a certain kind of fatigue etc...) + not had his usual time with family and friends over the past month + ate a crappy low protein meal with low nutrient value etc. etc.... compared to his typical routine of having pretty good sleep, moderate stress levels, been at usual social gatherings, had his GOMAD and steak, and moved around at work between sitting and standing with regular opportunities to take his body through many ranges of motion.

You might want to take a look at Greg Lehman's free handout workbook that does a fairly good layman's explanation of numerous BPS concepts and various strategies to improve management of pain.

Also:
    Dr. Austin Baraki: The Pain Article

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Generally takes several days of lacrosse ball torture and light stretching (while continuing to train of course) to get everything straightened out maybe by encouraging blood flow?
    Regardless it still seems to happen occasionally regardless of what "preventative" measures I take...
    This is my experience as well.

Speaking just for myself, 64 years old. I suspect that it's a bit of old scar tissue that I am aggravating from time-to-time - lower left back.
    Occasionally I will think I have properly set my lordotic extension, concentrating on it throughout the first rep of a set whether it be for a squat or DL - only to feel the same old twinge during the concentric phase. So I tell myself to really bear down on my lower back for reps 2-5 and sure enough, no back pain. I now just think of my scar tissue as a friendly form check.

starting strength coach development program
    345x5 Squat and 375x5 DL today. Other than some serious sharp pain in the middle of the night if I suddenly move but I'm almost 100%. Still being careful when I lift but I'm getting there. The cause and the cure. Weird shit that no one has an answer for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123