starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: Training the Military for Strength

Default Starting Strength Radio: Training the Military for Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I enjoyed the topic very much. I work out in a gym with US Army Soldiers every time I train and think they could benefit from a system as you have described. I am also over hearing some of the young Captains talking about not running as much, and focusing on strength, although I am afraid they would be high bar squatting instead.

Hey Rip, enjoyed the podcast. Curious, assuming technique is not a factor, what benchmark would you give for the squat and bench press at the baseline level?

I intentionally left those out of the test. If you're just curious, they would be proportional.

Fair enough, thanks!

I just participated in a 50 mile ruck. My pack weighed in at just shy of 50 pounds. I had 19 points to find in under 20 hours. I did it in about 19 hours with a moderate pace. Training for this consisted of squats, presses and pulls. I did exactly zero rucks leading up to this event. The last time I had a ruck on my back was last August for a 31 miler.

I'm not sure what the confusion is about training troops. Get strong and learn to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    ... and learn to suffer.
    Man, is this out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    I just participated in a 50 mile ruck. My pack weighed in at just shy of 50 pounds. I had 19 points to find in under 20 hours. I did it in about 19 hours with a moderate pace. Training for this consisted of squats, presses and pulls. I did exactly zero rucks leading up to this event. The last time I had a ruck on my back was last August for a 31 miler.

I'm not sure what the confusion is about training troops. Get strong and learn to suffer.
    I would kind of think this is more of a "SpecOps" type training. I did some 25 milers back in my day, but nothing in conjunction with a Land Nav course. The Sapper Leader Course Land Nav was fairly challenging, but we definitely did not do 50 miles. I think the weight training will definitely help with being able to "hump" that much weight, but do you think it helps with the "suck factor" when the straps are cutting into your shoulders and the feet start to go numb after miles and miles under that load? Oh, and thank you for your service, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddtediejm View Post
    The Sapper Leader Course Land Nav was fairly challenging, but we definitely did not do 50 miles. I think the weight training will definitely help with being able to "hump" that much weight, but do you think it helps with the "suck factor" when the straps are cutting into your shoulders and the feet start to go numb after miles and miles under that load?
    This wasn't as difficult as a military land nav course with map and compass. It was pretty easy but still slowed you down and increased the distance I went to 54 miles after a miss turn or two.

Strength more than helps. It's the foundation. You can take anyone who can tolerate physical suffering and with a sufficient base of strength they can ruck all day. Add some prowler and sprint repeats and literally every combat related physical task is taken care of.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Rip, in the podcast you've mentioned that a healthy 200 lb 20yr old adult starting from scratch with SS linear program, after 6 months should be lifting DL: 405lb, SQT: 365lb, OHP: 150lb

I'm healthy 235 50yr old 2'10. I've been (I bought the book and I've been trying to follow your LP program). started from ZERO and now after 5 months lifting: DL: 185lb, BP: 150lb and OHP: 70lb

What was I supposed to be lifting now then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast