starting strength gym

Thread: Bourbon

Default Bourbon

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I was just looking at a thread titled "Top 10 Bourbons for Beginners". Two of the bourbons you suggested, Wellers 107 and Eagle Rare 10, are some of my favorites. Both because they are good, and both because they are not expensive; i.e. less than $50.00 a fifth. At least they weren't always expensive. Wellers has been notoriously difficult to find in my area of the country for some time now, but now even Eagle Rare has disappeared off the shelves....

I guess I have two questions...one, are others finding that Eagle Rare is becoming more rare as of late? And two, do you or any members of the boards have recommendations on other bourbons that are the "new" Eagle Rare/Wellers 107?

Funny you should ask. I think gin is the new bourbon. I'm tired of this idiocy, where no store anywhere has any decent whiskey. Or just go back to Scotch, which is not encumbered with popularity.

A year ago Henry McKenna Single Barrel was a <$30 mid shelf treasure with a plastic twist off cap. It was awesome because none of the bourbon idiots touched it because it wasn't Pappy. I could find it in every store I wondered into. Then it won two awards. Then all of those idiots bought every bottle because "I've always loved this stuff". Because every bottle got bought, Heaven Hill made it an allocated release. Price jumped to $40+ and it was given a pull cork cap. The juice didn't change, just the morons in the bourbon world jumped on the train and ruined it, like they always do.

If you have to have a bourbon, Maker's 46 is nice and Russell's Reserve 10 yr is still in the sanity realm. The easiest to find high proof whiskey is Jack Daniel's Single Barrell Barrell Proof, I like it a lot but YMMV.

If there's a Costco near by, they have a 7 Year Tennessee Whiskey that is very good.

I still think that Elijah Craig Small Batch gives good value for those seeking a reasonably priced, quality bourbon. Especially in the 1.75 liter size.

Unfortunately, around these parts the ABC stores are state run and it is often hard to get our hands on the highly sought after Weller or McKenna offerings.

(As for Scotch, I can usually find a good Islay single malt from Ardbeg or Laphroaig or Lagavulin on the shelves.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Funny you should ask. I think gin is the new bourbon.
    For what it's worth, Bluecoat Barrel Aged Gin is a very interesting in-between. Market Alley Gin (from the Thistle Finch Rye distillers in Lancaster, PA) is my current favorite - probably not widely available though.

starting strength coach development program
    Contrary to its reputation, Wild Turkey 101 is fantastic for the price, and has actually improved over the past couple years. The batches over the last few months have slightly older whiskey than batches have for quite a while. Wild Turkey has an edge/funk to its taste that some don't like, but if you do, or if you develop a taste for it, you'll never have trouble finding it at a good price.