starting strength gym

Thread: Training the Military for Strength

Default Training the Military for Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coach RIP! I just finished watching your SS Radio episode Training the Military for Strength. I could not agree more with your assessment. I am a 14 year Army veteran having served combat tours in both Afghanistan and Iraq as a medic. Not once during my multiple tours did I ever run more than a few hundred meters and that was with about 60lbs of gear. Being stronger would have served me much better. I am currently a SSOC client running NLP. It is amazing what the program has done for my "surgical shoulders" and tight and painful joints. I wish I had this program when I first joined the Army. Anyway, I have a question about training my troops for strength. I will be PCSng soon and likely taking over a platoon of anywhere from 20-40 Soldiers depending upon what type of unit I'm assigned to. I would love to run my Soldiers through NLP but I foresee numerous hurdles. The main ones being time and resources. During the time PT is scheduled the gyms are packed and the unit will likely not (and may not be legally allowed) to purchase training equipment. I have my own home gym but it will not support 20-40 Soldiers. Any idea on how to overcome these hurdles?

The base gym. Maybe train at the base gym.

Yeah, that's an issue as the gyms don't have the equipment to support those numbers and are already overcrowded. Oh well, I'll figure something out. I really want to utilize SS.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    Yeah, that's an issue as the gyms don't have the equipment to support those numbers and are already overcrowded. Oh well, I'll figure something out. I really want to utilize SS.
    A better plan would be for you to get as strong/fit as possible and let your example draw others to you. You might get three guys that want your advice. The culture is too hard to break by just telling your platoon to do SS. As soon as ONE of your Joes fails the APFT (which will happen) someone will step in and tell you to stop.

So....get strong. Max your APFT (or the new ACFT). Do awesome at your job and always have a fresh haircut and a clean uniform. People who want to excel will come to you. Set them up to follow your example and eventually people will be coming to them for the same advice.

Good luck.

Agreed