starting strength gym

Thread: when to wear a belt

Default when to wear a belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a correct time to use a belt during squats? I usually put mine on once 135 goes on the bar. At 176 lbs and 54 yrs old...it makes me feel more secure and able to brace better. Is this ok..or should I be waiting until significant weight goes on the bar? Also..if I show up to a starting strength seminar and wear my belt too early in the progression of poundage...will I be laughed at or told to take it off ? My belt has become like a security blanket....maybe using too early...short changing myself for when I really need it? Just not sure.....Your thoughts...as always much appreciated.

Thank you

If you've had a back injury, wear the belt when you want to, first weighted set at least. If no back injury, put it on for your last warmup set.

Thank you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you've had a back injury, wear the belt when you want to, first weighted set at least. If no back injury, put it on for your last warmup set.

This is exactly what I do with a herniated lower back/ "degenerative disc disease". Belt goes on my first set of 135. OP, for the record I'm 50 and squatted and pull in the 400's.

Near 50 years old here, no back injury.

I guess I'm the odd ball (no surprise). My rule of thumb for belt and squats is, when the amount of weight lifted exceeds my current body weight, the belt goes on. From that weight and above a belt is used. Anything under that weight the belt is left off (the bulk of my warm up sets). Shrug. Not sure if that is the most efficient, but seems to have been a good rule of thumb for me...