starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S4 and tail bone fractures.

Default S4 and tail bone fractures.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good morning.

Had the misfortune of a motorcycle crash on Wed. I haven’t read my report but was told I have fractured S4 and my tail bone. I’m walking with a walker right now (barely)and hopefully get discharged soon. My game plan is to walk and push ROM for body weight squats. I won’t try anything weight bearing for a few weeks or as pain and meds dictate. Once I can get a bar on my back I’ll seek a coach.

Does this sound reasonable? Obviously I’m not seeking medical advice.

Thanks for all you do.
    Warren

Do you have a prowler?

No but I’ll get one and a roll of Astro turf.

Warren

That's my suggestion.

why pushing the sled and not the squat and dead , , , ?

That's where he starts. The upright position maintains the correct relationships within the healing sacrum and tailbone while loading the structures, driving the bone remodeling without stressing the positional repair. This is just for 2-3 weeks before he starts back with the lifts.

Thanks again for the input. Looks like I am just going to be doing drop ins at a local gym to use a prowler. I haven’t done any prowler work in the past but will brush up on your how to video. Do you have any recommendations on how to programming the prowler work/rehab?

Warren

Start light, low volume. Add weight and volume.

Good morning

Wanted to thank you for the advice. I did not require surgery and I am very thankful for this. I started pushing the prowler with 1 week of release from the hospital. I was able to do roughly 100 ft with an empty sled and this took 15 min with breaks. The turf is 50’ long approx and I go the end and back. I am up to approximately 10 laps now. I added in some squats and RDLs this past Monday. It hurts but not in a bad way. My ROM is increasing and with it the topical numbness is also going away.My strength is beyond pathetic. I am also going to PT weekly to appease my wife (she’s been awesome about the whole situation)It’s the usual BS. As I recover and have tapered off the pain meds I have discovered all sorts of aches and pains in the rest of my body especially my right leg, shoulders and wrist. I will start to incorporate the press when I can as I know that the whole body needs to be involved in the recovery process. I am looking forward to working my rehab into a legitimate LP.

Once again thank you for what you do.

Warren

starting strength coach development program
    Good evening

I received my hospital paper work in the mail today and read it over. Apparently my sacrum fracture is “ minorily displaced “ . I haven’t felt any set backs with pain that have lasted more than a few hours due to overdoing it a little bit(5 mile walk)The rest of the report talked about minor degeneration as I expected for being a human of my age (36). The only thing that piqued my interest was that I have a “bilateral pars defect”. Is this something to be concerned about?

I have a follow up appointment and more imaging coming up on Friday. Is there anything that I should be asking the orthepedic surgeon?I am expecting it to be a “ looks fine, do PT and rest” kind of interaction.

Btw pushed the prowler today, squated 65lbs and RDL’d the same. Hoping to have the ROM to do proper deadlifts in another week.

Once again, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast