starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurt groin while deadlifting

Default Hurt groin while deadlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello All,

While I was doing my deadlifts, I felt a sort of pop in my groin area on the third rep, and continued to finish my set of five. Afterwards the whole left of my groin area, including the testicle, is sore. There are no visible marks or bruises in the area. I have previously done some fairly hard sets of squats and presses.

I'm fairly sure I didn't hit my testicle with the bar

Is this something anyone else has experienced? If so, how can it be avoided? It is rather unpleasant.

Thanks,

Max

Immediately get checked for an inguinal hernia. This is not a groin muscle presentation.

Thanks Rip. There is no noticeable swelling and the pain isn't bad, but I will get this looked at, the described symptoms do seem to match up with what I am experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Max2018 View Post
    Hello All,

While I was doing my deadlifts, I felt a sort of pop in my groin area on the third rep, and continued to finish my set of five. Afterwards the whole left of my groin area, including the testicle, is sore. There are no visible marks or bruises in the area. I have previously done some fairly hard sets of squats and presses.

I'm fairly sure I didn't hit my testicle with the bar

Is this something anyone else has experienced? If so, how can it be avoided? It is rather unpleasant.

Thanks,

Max
    Rip's right. You should call your doctor right now and find out if you can be seen today or if you should go to urgent care or something.

If he'd strangulated a bowel, he'd know by now. But this does need to be looked at.

Went to the docs, they had a poke around and couldn't find any evidence of it being a hernia, which I'd be inclined to believe as there isn't any sort of visible or feelable lump. Quite strange how it hurt the testicle though.

If it hurt the testicle, it would be strange if it didn't involve the inguinal canal.

Did they perform an ultrasound?

My inguinal hernia was misdiagnosed twice before I had an ultrasound

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    My inguinal hernia was misdiagnosed twice before I had an ultrasound
    It may amaze you to know that some doctors couldn't diagnose a direct or indirect inguinal (or a femoral) hernia if any of them bit them in the crotch. Some hernia's would tax even a great diagnostician such as myself. Unless you're now totally pain-free, I'd insist on an ultrasound. It'll also pick up a torsion which may require surgery but which would rarely become pain-free. It can also pick up a scrotal hematoma. If that's the issue you won't generally need to do anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast