Video: In Depth on the Power Clean Video: In Depth on the Power Clean - Page 3

starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Video: In Depth on the Power Clean

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    India,Kota
    Posts
    55

    Default

    • phoenix arizona seminar date
    • texas seminar date
    '' ... Apparently Dave has been taught that she was supposed to be offended, since that's fashionable right now, so he thought he'd be the first in line to defend her, not realizing that this is actually a form of mansplaining, just as serious a problem.''

    Quit Uncle-splaining, Rip.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    She did speak up later. She thanked me for correcting her position and told me she had thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Apparently Dave has been taught that she was supposed to be offended, since that's fashionable right now, so he thought he'd be the first in line to defend her, not realizing that this is actually a form of mansplaining, just as serious a problem.
    Can you show me where I've said any of that Mark?

    Your decision to film that shot, that way, is stupid in my opinion, and that's it.

    No white knighting, no man-splaining, no concerns or accusations of sexual misconduct.

    I'm criticizing your film-making, not your coaching tactics.

    But by all means, play to the audience.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Hey Rip, great video! Thank you for sharing. The video is a very nice supplement to the chapter from the book.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Joksimovic View Post
    Can you show me where I've said any of that Mark?

    Your decision to film that shot, that way, is stupid in my opinion, and that's it.

    No white knighting, no man-splaining, no concerns or accusations of sexual misconduct.

    I'm criticizing your film-making, not your coaching tactics.

    But by all means, play to the audience.
    And why precisely is it stupid, Dave? You seem to assume everybody knows why it's stupid, but you don't seem to be able to articulate your reasoning. I pasted the article into the post in which my reasoning is explained, and it doesn't appear that you have read it. It illustrates the concepts in the article perfectly: it takes advantage of the tactile teaching/learning phenomenon, it saves time, and it relies on the trust that must exist between the coach and the trainee in a productive relationship. The problem might be that it assumes that everybody involved is an actual adult, and that you have been taught not to assume this. Everyone involved was an actual adult, including almost everybody in this audience.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And why precisely is it stupid, Dave? You seem to assume everybody knows why it's stupid, but you don't seem to be able to articulate your reasoning. I pasted the article into the post in which my reasoning is explained, and it doesn't appear that you have read it. It illustrates the concepts in the article perfectly: it takes advantage of the tactile teaching/learning phenomenon, it saves time, and it relies on the trust that must exist between the coach and the trainee in a productive relationship. The problem might be that it assumes that everybody involved is an actual adult, and that you have been taught not to assume this. Everyone involved was an actual adult, including almost everybody in this audience.
    Or maybe it's that I assumed someone who is attempting to launch a national brand of gyms aimed at attracting rank newbies who've never seen a barbell to DHFP would at least think twice before putting out a piece of easily meme-able content that might open themselves to unneeded or unwarranted criticism or accusations in the unfortunately politically volatile climate this country seems to be in.

    Articulated enough?

    Funny you mention articles by the way...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,313

    Default

    You're quite the HR politician, Dave. Speaking of articles, we illustrated yours with a photo of some guy with a mohawk and a bro-beard deadlifting a fairly light weight while screaming at the other bros in the Jesus-on-the-Cross position -- an egregious display of unwelcoming physical aggression. From your wokeness perspective, how do you think a noob just visiting the website for the first time would react to the overt hostility in evidence in this grossly-exaggerated display of toxic masculinity? What does this say to women of all identities who are merely interested in getting stronger without the obvious misogynistic baggage inherent in such a photograph? What do less-hairy novice men of all identities take away from this obviously unwelcoming and insensitive affront to more delicate sensibilities? Did we make a huge and now-regrettable mistake with our easily meme-able (?) selection of graphics that might be criticized? Is there really anything that cannot be memed, taken out of context, or misused by irrelevant fools bent on the destruction of a perceived enemy? If so, we apologize from the depths of our souls, but there it is and it's not coming down. In fact, here it is:

    https://startingstrength.com/bioimag...joksimovic.jpg

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Joksimovic View Post
    piece of easily meme-able content that might open themselves to unneeded or unwarranted criticism or accusations in the unfortunately politically volatile climate this country seems to be in.
    But... you're.... the....one....making... the...memes.......Dave............................ ...

    You're welcome for the current bout of notoriety.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,313

    Default

    In addition, Tiffany wonders why nobody noticed that I touched her arm. Are arms somehow unimportant in your attempt to objectify a woman's body?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    995

    Default

    This is like when someone's name is Dick and it gets announced in a group of people and a small group of teenagers snicker. It's just a sign of immaturity that someone would see a shot like that and think "Brazzers" instead of "oh that position is drastically different and correct." And I would venture a guess to say SS isn't branding to the teenagers laughing at the name "Dick"

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39,313

    Default

    Yeah, that's pretty much it. Best to ignore the teenagers and just hope they grow up soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •