starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: The Back Pain Episode

Default Starting Strength Radio: The Back Pain Episode

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

To Stef or whomever is responsible: nice job on the transcript under the video. Rip is a clear speaker, but reading and listening at the same time increases retention.

Semi related, when Rip does more "serious" presentations like this, IMHO, more people outside our community will listen. He is seen more, which of course he is, as an expert in this area with decades of clinical experience. I like the banter on the forums as much as anyone, but that is for those of us in the community already. We have a lot of experts here that are putting out great content: Sully, Matt, Jordan, on and on. Keep up the good work guys.

At the risk of contradicting myself, the video of Rip "coaching" Chase on "the most important exercise of all" was a hoot!

A challenging subject in terms of trying to say anything useful with so much variation involved. At the same time, nice job -- I think a lot of folks need to hear the message of activity vs inactivity in responding to pain and knowing how generally messed up the structure of our backs is, how much sense it makes to do what we can in terms of strengthening the supporting structures.

But wowain killers (including alcohol) work in massively different ways for different people, pain might be best managed by finding ways to ignore it, the upper back is a good candidate for surgery (!) while the lower back is not...

For someone in a constant battle against bullshit, I commend your willingness to wade into such waters.

I'm 54. I went through some real shit with my lower back in my mid to late 40's. I continued to lift when I could and generally tried everything short of surgery and luckily remained intermittently functional enough to avoid it and -- presto, no problems in the last 4 years -- I think the structures have settled, adjusted, the surrounding muscles have become stronger and the back has lost some flexibility (though I am likely much more functional than I would have been had I not lifted through it as much as possible).

I do wish you would spend more time on the upper back at some point. My lifting partner has simply quit doing upper body lifts due to pain, but has not found a coherent medical approach (she gets shunted to PTs and nothing has been effective -- meanwhile she hates the idea of trusting a surgeon with such complicated, unknown structures -- the result that there is no correspondence between signs of structural abnormalities and pain doesn't help).

I'm really appreciating these long-format pieces for giving you time to sift through topics thoroughly.