starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price to shim a shoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why did they not want the whole discrepancy corrected?
    As with many other questions I've posed to medical professionals, I did not get a "good" answer. My suspicion is that their measurement techniques are not as precise as we would all like to believe.

I had been experimenting with various thicknesses of wood shims (flat, not tapered) placed between the floor and the sole of my foot when lifting to try to get dialed. Anything more than 10mm did seem excessive and awkward. And I had lifted my ski boot 10mm a few months ago and it felt great. So I convinced myself that 10mm was the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DougS View Post
    As with many other questions I've posed to medical professionals, I did not get a "good" answer. My suspicion is that their measurement techniques are not as precise as we would all like to believe.

I had been experimenting with various thicknesses of wood shims (flat, not tapered) placed between the floor and the sole of my foot when lifting to try to get dialed. Anything more than 10mm did seem excessive and awkward. And I had lifted my ski boot 10mm a few months ago and it felt great. So I convinced myself that 10mm was the right answer.
    And it may be the correct shim. I just wanted to know why. Seems to me that a level pelvis under load keeps the lumbar spine loaded neutrally, and this is the point of the shim, which would require the whole discrepancy to be compensated. This is not a factor in a street shoe, but under a 600 deadlift, I think it's important to at least be close to a full compensation. This would require the discrepancy to be accurately assessed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And it may be the correct shim. I just wanted to know why. Seems to me that a level pelvis under load keeps the lumbar spine loaded neutrally, and this is the point of the shim, which would require the whole discrepancy to be compensated. This is not a factor in a street shoe, but under a 600 deadlift, I think it's important to at least be close to a full compensation. This would require the discrepancy to be accurately assessed.
    Maybe there are physiologic adaptations that occur over time, and they have found that the bone length measured via x-ray is not the most accurate measurement of the actual correction needed? They may do a bit of seat-of-the-pants guesstimating to extrapolate to the recommended shim, or maybe they have a secret formula or a table of results from past data.

In any case, the best way to measure the success of the shim would be to measure how level your pelvis is with the shim in place, as Rip says. Whether that shim matches the x-ray measurement is interesting (and helpful for future shimmers), but not relevant to your results.

(Pure speculation here: I have no experience with this. As a doctor, though, I have found that precise numbers used to measure our complex biology rarely if ever tell the whole story, and I assume this is true even for something as prosaic and seemingly quantifiable as limb length. This leads to some of the “squishiness” of the science of medicine that we complain about here on the boards, but is an inescapable fact of biology.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12