starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price to shim a shoe

Default Price to shim a shoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a client with about a 3/4” femur length descrepancy and I’m calling around to different shoe repair stores to see what the price and wait time for a shim would be.

What would you expect to pay?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

$40. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I have a client with about a 3/4” femur length descrepancy and I’m calling around to different shoe repair stores to see what the price and wait time for a shim would be.

What would you expect to pay?
    I'm in the same boat. Orthopedist recently measured 18mm leg length discrepancy via X Ray. Result of a shattered ankle 17 years ago. I inquired about a lift to several local cobblers, but they all shipped out the shoes to get lifted. So I found American Heelers (americanheeler.com). Sent my lifting shoe to them to add 10mm lift and they did a great job. Located in Beachwood, OH. About a 7 day turn around. Make sure your client lets them know it's a lifting shoe and specify the highest durometer lift material. Orthopedic and chiropractor that I spoke to both recommended NOT going with a lift that is the full discrepancy measurement. 10mm seems perfect for me. Cost was $87 all-in.

HUGE different with the lift. Lower back pain goes away, feel more balanced and planted, etc., etc., etc. I really need to get all my shoes done.

Why did they not want the whole discrepancy corrected?

Depending on your budget, contacting Whites Boots about a special pair of lifting shoes. I don't know if they do custom work or even if the lifting shoes are available yet, but that would be a well made solution.

White's is working on the shoe. They will not make one to order until they have it designed, i.e. they are not custom bootmakers.

Question for you guys who've shimmed your lifting shoes: do you wear an orthotic insert in your daily-wear shoes? I lift in Corcoran field boots (modest heel rise, very noncompressible) and was experimenting with with a hard insert to see if it made a difference prior to exploring getting it shimmed (short answer, it made a huge difference). Going to wear the insert in my daily wear to see if it helps the unilateral hip pain I've been having (again, it seems to help already).

Side note: the experimental inserts still compress a bit, obviously. I find that I can tolerate a thicker lift for squatting (probably because it is already fully compressed at the top of the lift) than I can for DLs...it just feels too high at the start of the pull. Presumably a proper hard shim will solve that problem.

At the expensive cost of all of the shoe modifications, what’s the problem with making a wood sole on a bandsaw and using JB weld to attach the wood to the shoe?

There would be an aesthetic flaw, but as long as the adhesive held, I see this as no different than squatting on a plywood platform.

Removes all the flexibility from the sole of the shoe. You will not like this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Removes all the flexibility from the sole of the shoe. You will not like this.
    Yeah. That makes sense. Thanks.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast