starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Rack

Default Barbell Rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm considering using my work gym, which has a lot of barbell and the a rack that looks similar to this one: https://images.sportsdirect.com/imag...76029803_l.jpg

It doesn't look like the conventional one you recommend. But is it still a fine alternative? I recognize that as I get competitive I would need something more sophisticated, but for a beginner in his first year is this a good start?

The floor is a basic gym floor, so I could drop heavy barbells (eg during clean) but would still be kinda loud.

Thank you.

It's not a fine alternative. It's a piece of junk. But it's all you got, so proceed.

How the fuck is a design this bad even possible? I mean, anyone who would wants to or needs to design a rack would, presumably, be someone who used it or needed it, right? So who the fuck is the man who needs/uses a rack who beleives that a design like this is a good idea? I dont understand. Its the equivalent of placing the gear shift under your perimeum - who would think thats a good place for a shifter?

The rack pictured is for storing barbells. It has pegs on the back side as well. Lonsdale | Lonsdale Barbell Rack | Fitness Accessories

OP- can you post a picture of the rack in your gym? If it is anything like the one above you either need to convince your employer to get an actual squat rack or you need to find an actual gym.

This thingy is a barbell rack, it‘s not meant to be used as a squat rack. I‘ve seen one few years ago, it holds pre-mounted barbells, shorter ones, in different increments.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Its the equivalent of placing the gear shift under your perimeum - who would think thats a good place for a shifter?
    Herbert J Garrison (monowheel cycle)

I assume from the link that you are in the UK.

I would never rack a loaded barbell on anything purchased from Sports Direct.

At that budget, you could try this:

Power Rack 250kg Max Load | Black Or Silver | Mirafit

My local gym has a couple of Mirafit racks, and they're mostly OK.

Apologies, here is the actual rack at the work gym. Is it also a "piece of junk"? Any safety issues for squatting? Thank you, Mark.

IMG_4656.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Piece of junk. But it's the only one you've got, so proceed.