starting strength gym
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting that last rep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Odd, how I know this shit.
    yea, but do you know how to RPE? There's more money in it if you do.

Meh... maybe not important for a novice but I feel like some fatigue-management like RPE is a godsend for an experienced lifter who needs to increase volume to make progress. There's no reason to do basically "RPE 10" all-out sets across for volume work as you need constantly longer breaks, needlessly get drained by the workout and have to cut volume anyway to keep that intensity up.

Cutting the intensity (by percentages, RPE or whatever measure) to effectively keep around 2 reps in the tank for the work sets and simultaneously increasing volume is absolutely superior to grinding on every set and consequently doing less volume.

Practicing heavier weights and improving motor-unit recruitment has its place of course but why not just practice it regularly on slightly sub maximal singles (e.g. RPE 8-9 or some 90-95%)? It's more specific to 1RMs and thus have more carryover than sets of 5 at basically "RPE 10" anyway. Here's how I'd do the TM for instance:

VD: 5x5 across at something like RPE 7 type weights and later on something like 5-7 sets of 4-6 reps as ascending, descending or pyramid sets and stepping through ranges of RPE 6-9.
    LD: e.g. the same schemes as in VD but with lighter variations of the lifts (e.g. front squats, or when closer to competition paused squats or pin squats, etc.)
    ID: 1x1 at RPE 8-9, followed by 2x2 or 2x3 at RPE 8-9

I find that results in a higher overall volume and thus improved progress as well as better practice with heavier weights without draining you as much as the standard TM.

Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    Meh... maybe not important for a novice but I feel like some fatigue-management like RPE is a godsend for an experienced lifter who needs to increase volume to make progress.
    Guess what? Advanced lifters already know this. Knew it, long before the invention of this terribly helpful acronym. Acronyms are just so cool. Like military stuff.

Guess what? Advanced lifters already know this. Knew it, long before the invention of this terribly helpful acronym. Acronyms are just so cool. Like military stuff.
    I'm not married to the RPE term or way of managing fatigue either... the only thing that's been mind opening for me is that you don't have to always perform all-out volume sets to continue progress. And that actually the opposite might be the case - something that I feel is still frowned upon around here.

the only thing that's been mind opening for me is that you don't have to always perform all-out volume sets to continue progress
    Where did you ever get the idea of "performing all-out volume sets," much less "always." So bizarre.

Cutting the intensity (by percentages, RPE or whatever measure) to effectively keep around 2 reps in the tank for the work sets and simultaneously increasing volume is absolutely superior to grinding on every set and consequently doing less volume.
    How do you know this? Superior for what?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Where did you ever get the idea of "performing all-out volume sets," much less "always." So bizarre.
    The internet, stef. Also, Excel spreadsheet salesmen.

I'm not married to the RPE term or way of managing fatigue either... the only thing that's been mind opening for me is that you don't have to always perform all-out volume sets to continue progress. And that actually the opposite might be the case - something that I feel is still frowned upon around here.
    Bob Hoffman was talking about a crayon simple form of what is now stylishly called RPE back in the last Century circa 1950 or so. He called it stopping short of training on your nerve by not going to failure. He didn't talk about a 0 - 10 scale, let alone what some advocates have subdivided into .5 increments for the whole numbers of that scale. It seemed to work reasonably well for the likes of the US Olympic lifters of the period like Kono and others when we dominated that event.

the invention of this terribly helpful acronym. Acronyms are just so cool. Like military stuff.
    meh ... more of an abbreviation really.

You don't sound out "RPE" as one word like the acronym TUBOW (too+buh+oh ... all in one syllable) or NASA.

RPE: You say the letters "arrh","pee","ee" separately.

(maybe in India they try to say it like an acronym)

Note: this was the most useful post in this thread.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    meh ... more of an abbreviation really.

You don't sound out "RPE" as one word like the acronym TUBOW (too+buh+oh ... all in one syllable) or NASA.

RPE: You say the letters "arrh","pee","ee" separately.

(maybe in India they try to say it like an acronym)

Note: this was the most useful post in this thread.
    If you want to be particular about terminology, RPE is an initialism. Both initialisms and acronyms are abbreviations.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast