starting strength gym
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting that last rep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddyin94 View Post
    I don’t understand where the feedback mechanism that would present new evidence would happen for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There's a lot of shit you don't understand.
    If you didn't want to respond you could have just sealed up the echo chamber and not approved the post. But since it's out there, I think Diddy has a valid question. We hear you say that Starting Strength are the only ones doing the science, the only ones with the data, and the people who do the most questioning of what works.
    This is great, but asking what has been tried and how is an important followup.
    Is the Starting Strength organization so sure they have the best solutions to these problems because they are researching and testing methods from contemporary coaches, literature, and experience or is your position that the programming is obviously the best because of some argument from first principles?

I'm not going to keep repeating myself, schenk. My thoughts on programming are in the books and all over this website. Do a bunch of "volume." Train any way you want to. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm not going to keep repeating myself, schenk. My thoughts on programming are in the books and all over this website. Do a bunch of "volume." Train any way you want to. I don't care.
    Your thoughts on programming are in the books and all over the website. The origin story for those thoughts is also all over the books, website and videos. The question being asking wasn't how you program or how you came up with it. The question was about your review process for new information.

My review process for new information is the logic/experience test, same as I use every single day even though you're not familiar with the details of my days. Am I required to explain further?

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Your thoughts on programming are in the books and all over the website. The origin story for those thoughts is also all over the books, website and videos. The question being asking wasn't how you program or how you came up with it. The question was about your review process for new information.
    I haven't been here too long, but I have seen several thorough videos and explanations of how they go through the new information review process. The information is easy to find. Do you have some other motive for asking this rhetorical question?

Of course (s)he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddyin94 View Post
    How much non starting-strength published content do you consume? How many RPE based training cycles have you programmed for your clients?
    You think Rip owes these guys a Titan training template peer review?
    Really?

As an intermediate in my log I might write something like 'recovering from hangover', 'R elbow injured', 'light day' etc. so that when I glance back on the numbers months later I can more easily identify trends vs anomalies when making programming decisions -"Here I present to my diary, a unique reason outside of the usual training variables why X rep might have been missed". (It's also kinda funny/sentimental years later). Aside from that doesn't it go without saying that every strength training session is a grind, a pain in the ass, it sucks and a relief when it's over? Calling it 8/10, 9/10 9.5/10 doesn't change anything.

I've been trying to find the Marty Gallagher quote in writing, probably saw it in his book but he definitely mentions it somewhere in the SS/Rip video interview too. Paraphrasing from memory he tells the story about how he and Kirk Karwoski would plan out every rep and every set of his training cycle months before a meet and he would famously hit every one without missing 1 rep. That demonstrates that RPE is bullshit even at a globally competitive level.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    As an intermediate in my log I might write something like 'recovering from hangover', 'R elbow injured', 'light day' etc. so that when I glance back on the numbers months later I can more easily identify trends vs anomalies when making programming decisions -"Here I present to my diary, a unique reason outside of the usual training variables why X rep might have been missed". (It's also kinda funny/sentimental years later). Aside from that doesn't it go without saying that every strength training session is a grind, a pain in the ass, it sucks and a relief when it's over? Calling it 8/10, 9/10 9.5/10 doesn't change anything.

I've been trying to find the Marty Gallagher quote in writing, probably saw it in his book but he definitely mentions it somewhere in the SS/Rip video interview too. Paraphrasing from memory he tells the story about how he and Kirk Karwoski would plan out every rep and every set of his training cycle months before a meet and he would famously hit every one without missing 1 rep. That demonstrates that RPE is bullshit even at a globally competitive level.
    Absolutely. Even in my limited experience I realised how easy it can become me to excuse shitty performance and RPE gives that everyone that excuse. It's hard to explain that to those who cling to RPE, that hard work and fortitude results in excellence not excuses.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Pretty sure that was Ed Coan (not missing a rep over an entire cycle)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast