starting strength gym
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting that last rep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Absolutely. Even in my limited experience I realised how easy it can become me to excuse shitty performance and RPE gives that everyone that excuse. It's hard to explain that to those who cling to RPE, that hard work and fortitude results in excellence not excuses.
    Meh, a lot of your IPF champions these days are "clinging" to the RPE.

Even the people who started using and Rx'ing RPE as training methodology will say right up front RPE is definitely not for everyone.

It's not so complicated: if your lifts aren't going up over the med-long term (int-weekly to bi weekly / adv- monthly to quarterly),
    you obviously need to do something else.

- not an RPE'er

What the hell do IPF Champions have to do with what we do as SSCs? Almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stepic View Post
    But I agree with Satch. When program stops working, we should just add 5 pounds and drink 2 gallons of milk. We should also frequently fail reps and rest 25 minutes between sets. When we get stuck again, just add 5 more pounds. Fuck RPE training.
    RPE works really great as long as you are also consuming RX Protein, RX Creatine, RX BCAA & following the Titan Training E-Book reasonably priced at the low price of $50.

Is it common for lifters to add notes to their training logs about changes in rest intervals? Depending on the exercise, I need about five minutes between sets of five to lift 90% of my 5RM. If I took 10 minutes between sets, I might hit 95%. Since a roughly 5% increase in weight is greater than I would normally consider adding at one time, whenever I have shortened or increased rest periods I felt that it was a notable training issue. Although I am not questioning the need to take as long as one needs to recover from the prior set, I consider significant changes to rest intervals as important as adding or removing a few pounds from the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

Even the people who started using and Rx'ing RPE as training methodology will say right up front RPE is definitely not for everyone.
    It's definitely not for me. I do not have the calibration necessary to be able to correctly gauge my exertion level. At this point, it is all just hard. Really hard. Somehow the weights keep moving up. They never get any faster. They never get any easier. But, the weight keeps piling on slowly. Then again, I am a barely average weightlifter, and not on the level of IPF world champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaying_the_inevitable View Post
    Is it common for lifters to add notes to their training logs about changes in rest intervals? Depending on the exercise, I need about five minutes between sets of five to lift 90% of my 5RM. If I took 10 minutes between sets, I might hit 95%. Since a roughly 5% increase in weight is greater than I would normally consider adding at one time, whenever I have shortened or increased rest periods I felt that it was a notable training issue. Although I am not questioning the need to take as long as one needs to recover from the prior set, I consider significant changes to rest intervals as important as adding or removing a few pounds from the bar.
    The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What the hell do IPF Champions have to do with what we do as SSCs? Almost nothing.
    Similar with Ed Coan and Marty Gallagher, I assume?

You're catching on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Similar with Ed Coan and Marty Gallagher, I assume?
    you normally don't get shouted down when you bring up those guys (and others) as examples of simple, hard, once a week, etc

until now that is

carry on

glad to see everyone agrees on this

starting strength coach development program
    As a novice I don’t understand- how do you program for RPE? Do you say you’ll do say 5x5 @RPE 6 and change the weight depending on how you feel or pick a weight you know will be roughly a RPE 6 and then do all 5 sets at that weight and hope you don’t go above that RPE? Does this not encourage lifters to change how they are lifting the weight to keep to their planned RPE?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast