starting strength gym
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting that last rep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    All lifters lack that, Matt. Doesn't matter how advanced you are, your Perceptions of your Exertion are subject to inaccuracy due to the nature of human perception, as Nockian observes. I have set PRs while badly hung over, and even recently I benched 285 after telling Stef to watch me close because the last warmup felt like 285 would never go. The bottom line is that perceptions are not data. And the use of numbers for perceptions does not make it data, for any level of training advancement.
    Hell, even as a rank novice I've encountered this. I've taken the bar off the rack for a squat and gone "hoo boy, I've got a bad feeling about this", once the bar was on my shoulders, but the set went fine. You can surprise yourself with what you can do when you do this stuff. It's part of the enjoyment. It's a huge pain in the ass when the opposite happens and you feel fine but the set crumbles into dust as you push through it, but boy do you feel like a king when you take a new heavier weight you feel trepidation about and power through the set just fine. There's no feeling like it.

I agree with this.

I would never have made many of my PRs if I had relied on RPE. When the next-to-last rep just felt like he hardest fucking thing in the world but you went for just one more because you knew it mattered and you hadn’t yet reached your goal...and you nail it...or you don’t nail it but you grind your way through and just barely make it... That just doesn’t fucking happen if your perception scale says you’re done.

I still suck at this stuff, but I’d suck way more if I didn’t have an objective goal toward which to strive.

It seems to me what most posters are saying is that we can't do a thing very well if we have never tried doing that thing so there's no point in trying to do that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by B Viking View Post
    MAD what are your PR's?
    B/W 208
    205-Press
    325-BP
    455-SQ
    505-DL
    225x3 - PC

He didn't want to see numbers that high.

Definitely not that high either....but for a 43yr old general strength trainee with average genetics it's not that bad.
    Once the kids go back to school I can stop exercising and start training again. Back on TM and I hope to finally hit a 500lb SQ by the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    but for a 43yr old general strength trainee with average genetics it's not that bad.
    Humility will take you far in life, sir. But, I think even the most modest would appreciate the fact that for someone of your reported demographics (general strength trainee with average genetics) the numbers you have achieved, at the very least, demonstrate a level of dedication to training that far surpasses the vast majority of those who train.

Are those numbers supposed to be inpressive after 11 years as a member of this board? I have them all beat by 40+ lbs (except for press, 505/365/560/225) after 3 years of training (half of that using RPE). But I suppose it's just that I have good genetics and got strong despite my training, right?

How old are you?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by B Viking View Post
    Are those numbers supposed to be inpressive after 11 years as a member of this board? I have them all beat by 40+ lbs (except for press, 505/365/560/225) after 3 years of training (half of that using RPE). But I suppose it's just that I have good genetics and got strong despite my training, right?
    How much do you weigh?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast