starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: But what about Keto?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "So, for those of you who don't know, veganism is simply an ethical philosophy. It is the belief that we have a moral obligation to reduce the unnecessary suffering, death, and exploitation of animals as much as reasonably possible. Does that sound like a psychological disorder to you?"

...Yes

Communism is simply an ethical philosophy. Bestiality, Nazism, pedophilia, and Aztec-style ritual human sacrifice are simply ethical philosophies.

I read Robert’s article on veganism. Why would I want to worry about combining a bunch of different plant foods to get all the essential aminos when I can just eat a steak?

Rip just wondering if there was a vegan version of your rumored to be very tasty asshole casserole.

Asking for a slightly psychotic friend...

Lol I think you’ve triggered Vegan Gains, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hurlburt View Post
    It's been my experience that diet inspires more magical thinking than just about any other topic in Western society. I'm generally pretty quick to point patients to the first law of thermodynamics when they ask me about Keto, Atkins, Vegan, South Beach, HCG, colon cleanses, juice fasts, and just about any other bullshit proposition for weight loss that some genius has decided to make a quick million on. It is literally impossible (at least inside this universe) for your weight to move opposite of your caloric balance over the course of weeks to months unless you have a malabsorption issue. It's like playing craps. The odds are the odds. The house wins. Starve yourself and get weaker. The data shows that the vast majority of people return to pre-diet weight in a relatively short period of time. I'd be willing to bet that there's data that shows that body composition is generally worse after each loss/gain cycle considering that you'd only regain the muscle it takes to move the regained extra fat unless you're deliberately training for strength.

Calories in minus calories out. The position of that number relative to zero will indicate your trajectory. Eat a 6000 calorie/day bacon diet while sitting on the couch and test it. Does it matter what you eat? ABSOLUTELY! Do carbs, protein, or fat possess magical weight loss/gain properties when combined in certain ratios or when abstained from altogether? NO!
    I've noticed that if I stop training and lose some strength I'm able to get back to my old level fairly quickly and much easier than the first time. It's also the same for weight loss. Any time I lose weight with a quick crash diet type effort I bounce right back to where I was unless I'm super diligent.

As for suffering of animals... I agree that the way a lot of factory farms operate is pretty horrendous but how do these people think that the average death of a prey animal in the wild plays out? A good portion are eaten alive by a predator. If they're lucky it will get the neck and end it quickly but we've probably all seen the video of that lion eating a buffalo ass end first...

The other options are to starve, die slowly from an injury or perish to the elements.

In the grand scheme of things it seems like an animal raised for slaughter might not have it so bad...but as a person who leans toward libertarian it makes me ask myself...would I rather live free with the risk of a horrible death, or would I rather be raised in a cage to go to slaughter and have a more peaceful death.

I don't know the answer but I know I'm going to continue eating meat. Trying to avoid large brands and buying from local farms seems to alleviate any guilt I might feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I don't know the answer but I know I'm going to continue eating meat. Trying to avoid large brands and buying from local farms seems to alleviate any guilt I might feel.
    That stuff tastes way better anyways. Definitely worth the extra few bucks per pound. And fresh eggs too.
    Living semi-rural has some nice benefits.

The book Diet for a Small Planet is the Holy Writ for these True Believers. In it you will find all your sins and transgressions detailed for you. I first encountered it during the wave of post Earth Day hysteria in the mid 70's.

I deal with this insanity at least once a month in my clinic. The presentation is always the same: very thin, physically weak, feels cold all the time, very low blood pressure, has trouble focusing their attention and frequently gets dizzy. Added bonus: has a broken bone that "refuses" to heal and/or is infertile if female.

Eating disorders are real as is mental illness. Magical thinking about veganism doing the following is virtually guaranteed: curing cancer, resulting in living to 100 years of age, resolving a skin disorder, and reversing heart disease.

So far I've "cured" about half a dozen people of this illness. Their response by week two is always: I feel so much better....

starting strength coach development program
    He sounds Canadian.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast