starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testicular movement while performing overhead press

Default Testicular movement while performing overhead press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

Having searched the forum, I believe this topic has not been discussed yet.

I've noticed that when I perform the overhead press my left testicle moves upwards and goes back to normal when I finish the press and return to the starting position.

I believe this is connected to the diaphragmatic breathing that I perform before doing the press.

It doesn't come with any pain whatsoever, but it's kind of annoying and I'm not sure if this is normal.

Has anyone doing Starting Stength experienced something similar?

Thanks!

A fascinating piece of perceptive acumen. I'm not sure that anyone else doing Starting Strength is this attuned to testicular movement.

hahaha fair point I'm only worried because I can feel the muscle pulling up the left testicle every time I perform the exercise. Both testicles contracting would make sense but the fact that it's only the left side and that it's connected to performing strenuous activity I wanted to make sure if this is normal (and if anyone has experienced this)

thanks for your quick response

p.s. I'm concerned because I'm not sure if this could lead to some form of torsion for example

I'd give my left nut to know how such a phenomenon could be possible.

Probably my description of "movement" is imprecise. What I feel is some sort of pressure, movement, weirdness in the testicle when holding my breath and performing the exercise.

Do you have an inguinal hernia?

Quote Originally Posted by david1981 View Post
    Hi Rip,

I've noticed that when I perform the overhead press my left testicle moves upwards and goes back to normal when I finish the press and return to the starting position.

I believe this is connected to the diaphragmatic breathing that I perform before doing the press.

It doesn't come with any pain whatsoever, but it's kind of annoying and I'm not sure if this is normal.

Thanks!
    I have better testicular control than most men I know, so I am somewhat qualified to answer this question. I have had a similar experience, but only when deliberately trying to do so.
    Is the pressure/movement deliberate or involuntary? Are you able to replicate the sensation in the absence of the lift?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by david1981 View Post
    Hi Rip,

Thanks!
    This exact thing happens to me intermittently while doing something like shaving nude (aka no "support"). It's extremely uncomfortable to me and I always wear something supportive otherwise. A big part of the reason is I had to have emergency surgery because of torsion of both testicles when I was a small boy and the whole experience was well, kinda traumatic. Doc said there was zero chance of it ever happening again now but I still feel uncomfortable with movement to this day and now in my 40s.

I understand the uncomfortable feeling of the movement, and if you're concerned about torsion, get it checked. It happens early, is rare and usually inherited though, and I've had other males on my dad's side have to have surgery too. If the movement is making you that uncomfortable, try wearing something more supportive (tighter) at least during that exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I have better testicular control than most men I know,
    This raises an interesting question.

starting strength coach development program
    It's difficult for me to believe that someone actually notices how much their testicles move when they are pressing. Maybe you need to use a heavier weight so you will pay less attention to your testicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast