starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing Vertical Jump

Question Standing Vertical Jump

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The standing vertical jump which you often refer to as a measure of an athletes inherent physical ability. Much like the IQ of a person this value cannot be significantly increased but is basically the inherent physical prowess of that individual.

However, a male being tested at the age of 18 is going to have a significantly higher standing vertical jump then he will at 68. Even a superior athlete with the vertical jump of 30+ inches at the age of 18 is going to have a horrible vertical jump value at the age of 68, yet he is the same person.

So my questions are:

At what age range are standing vertical jump numbers valid?
    Are there any curves showing the degradation of the standing vertical jump with age?
    What test can be used to determine the inherent athletic ability of a 68 year-old old?
    Does the reaction time of an individual mean anything to inherent strength ability?

1. At what age range are standing vertical jump numbers valid?

They are assumed to be valid for people in their early 20s.

2. Are there any curves showing the degradation of the standing vertical jump with age?

Not that I know of. And who cares anyway? You know what the curve will look like. Feel free to draw your own.

3. What test can be used to determine the inherent athletic ability of a 68 year-old old?

Why is this important to a 68-year-old? Vanity? Do you have an NFL Combine to attend? You know that your athletic ability has degraded from where it was in your 20s. And I can't think of a better way to need surgery than to start trying to assess an irrelevant parameter that involves loading the now-inelastic connective tissues that might be semi-successfully holding your ass together.

4. Does the reaction time of an individual mean anything to inherent strength ability?

Not that I've ever been able to tell. I have very fast hands and a very shitty SVJ. Always have.

Good God man. Who the fuck cares about a SVJ for a 68 year old? This reminds me of an article I read about an older guy who started trying to compete in Masters cycling events. He quickly learned that the winners were on "Testosterone Replacement Therapy", in other words they were juicing. As Trump would say "Sad"

Rip, if my 102 year old grandma has a vertical jump of 2 inches, do you think she will be able to compete in the USAPL?

Thanks for your stupid fucking answers. What I was trying to find out and was once a person is well beyond the measurement for a standing vertical jump; is there any way to gain any insight on what his athletic abilities were when he was younger since the measurement technique 50 fucking years ago didn’t include the fucking standing vertical jump?

No fucking way, man. We're just puzzled by why it's important to you. I can't imagine a less-important question, except maybe which album you would take to a desert island.

Quote Originally Posted by agingstrong View Post
    Thanks for your stupid fucking answers. What I was trying to find out and was once a person is well beyond the measurement for a standing vertical jump; is there any way to gain any insight on what his athletic abilities were when he was younger since the measurement technique 50 fucking years ago didn’t include the fucking standing vertical jump?
    Ok. Here's a genuine answer: no. The standing vertical jump of a 68 year old, while still valid, does not give us prescriptive or descriptive power and will not take precedent over many other useful metrics for living life or lifting.

The fact of the matter is that the SVJ of ALMOST EVERYONE doesn't prescribe us in the way we live or lift. I wouldn't do anything different to any of my clients if they came in and did a 36" SVJ, because the prescription and indicators for change are the same for people with a 30" SVJ as they are for people with a 10" SVJ. That is the beauty of the coaching model; it normalizes for almost all demographics and variation. I wonder if Rip did that on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    which album you would take to a desert island.
    Meshuggah's "Catch 33"
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I have very fast hands
    What objective testing do you use to measure "fast hands"?

Before my shoulder injuries, you could not touch my face.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Before my shoulder injuries, you could not touch my face.
    Well, even WITH your shoulder injuries, you're 1200 miles away. I'm pretty sure I still couldn't touch your face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast