starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

Default Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This video is currently the 2nd trending video on Youtube.
    We still got a lot of work to do.

YouTube

Amazing. And after all, he is a very strong man. He must know this stuff.

The guy is 6'7" tall, was probably 325+lbs before he started strongman and log pressed 330lbs before he started seriously training. Freakish outlier. Maybe, when you can clean 500lbs, you don't need the deadlift to get strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The guy is 6'7" tall, was probably 325+lbs before he started strongman and log pressed 330lbs before he started seriously training. Freakish outlier. Maybe, when you can clean 500lbs, you don't need the deadlift to get strong?
    He (maybe) doesn't, but everyone else (certainly) does. That's the whole point of training and this approach.

So many experts in the YT comments again. Wonder why none of them have written a book on this or coach people at all? So much expertise going to waste.

I saw this yesterday and thought it might end up here.

Rip, doesn’t he reinforce what you've said many times?

He says he came from football. He says if you go into any NFL or D1 weight room, no one is deadlifting because it's too difficult not to hurt your lower back.

That would indicate to me that the coaches are not competent enough to coach the deadlift.

He references NFL & D1 football S&C as the gold standard and there's no deadlifting in those programs. This is how one of the best players in the NFL squats. Bleacher Report on Twitter: "➖ Squatting 675 lbs
    ➖ Box jumps with 50s

Myles Garrett is built different 😤 @brgridiron

(via @MylesLGarrett)… "

Thanks but no thanks.

I don't think you guys appreciate what a powerful argument he makes. "The best in the world do it this way, therefore that's the best way to do it." How do you refute that to a person of average intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "The best in the world do it this way, therefore that's the best way to do it."
    I think there's a T-shirt opportunity here.

Don't you guys know that the risk to reward ratio for deadlifting is a joke??
    Pfft, You nerds go have fun with that. I'm going to go do my one-legged good morning jumps like a real athlete. Just don't come running to me for help when you're in a wheelchair.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think you guys appreciate what a powerful argument he makes. "The best in the world do it this way, therefore that's the best way to do it." How do you refute that to a person of average intelligence?
    I've thought about this, and I don't think I've seen this argument-by-analogy made before. (Not to imply that it's never been made, only that I don't remember having seen it.)

Just about everybody remembers that kid in high school who could eat whatever he wanted but remained skinny as a bean pole. Everybody also understands that, if you want to be skinny, you don't follow his example and eat everything in sight. Elite athletes are just like that skinny kid -- they can do whatever they want and they'll still be an elite athlete. Normal people can't do that.

I don't know if this argument would work, though. People know that athletes work out, so it must be the case that elite athletes just work harder than everyone else, but as they see it, the skinny kid just got lucky with his genetics.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast