starting strength gym
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongman Robert Oberst Says You Shouldn't Do Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I doubt very much if that would happen. Apart from Log Press, he barely makes it out of the group stages at WSM.
    Which doesn't mean is isn't right. He isn't right for many other reasons that have nothing to do with his record.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think you guys appreciate what a powerful argument he makes. "The best in the world do it this way, therefore that's the best way to do it." How do you refute that to a person of average intelligence?
    There's an expression in Dutch that loosely translates as "why bother with glasses and candles if the owl doesn't want to see?" Lots of animals in our expressions, probably cos of fables. In moments like these, I shrug and move on. How do you make people listen/read/think/blank? Not by insisting on using the glasses and candles you provide, that's for sure. If they want to hear what I have to say, they'll come to me, like the wonderful people who join the many gyms operated by you fine people.

Health and fitness is an even worse subject for this problem than many. In other areas, people more readily accept their ignorance I've found. But everyone knows everything about the human body and their own, didn't you know? Rank one untrained novices know the same about nutrition as I do, and more about knee safety when squatting. Which is why I never bring up or talk about what I do in the gym to anyone and avoid that topic at all costs.

If thousands upon thousands of morons want to believe "deadlifts are not worth the risk," despite it being the easiest lift to learn since all it takes is about 5 steps, then they're free to never deadlift again in their life. The go-getters who see past the fame and glory of world level athletes who just want to be a little stronger, a little healthier, are free to come up to me and ask me for a form check.

But please, continue.

Later in the podcast he talks about how he went into one of his first Strongman competition with very little deadlift experience (like three weeks’ worth) and, shockingly, hurt his back deadlifting more than 800 pounds. Perhaps this colored his opinion on the matter. Perhaps if he had learned how to deadlift properly and had some training experience he would have an altogether different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    If thousands upon thousands of morons want to believe "deadlifts are not worth the risk," despite it being the easiest lift to learn since all it takes is about 5 steps, then they're free to never deadlift again in their life.
    It might well be just me, but I have to differ with you regarding the deadlift being the easiest lift to learn. There's a lot to remember and keep straight, and too many ways to lose lock on any one of them and for the lift to go wrong and leave you sore. Or at least lifting less than you might be capable of if the DL is done correctly. I have just had to refurbish my own form in this lift and it was not easy just by review of the blue book. But I am getting there.

IMO, the bench press is the easiest to learn. But again, maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Overbar View Post
    Later in the podcast he talks about how he went into one of his first Strongman competition with very little deadlift experience (like three weeks’ worth) and, shockingly, hurt his back deadlifting more than 800 pounds. Perhaps this colored his opinion on the matter. Perhaps if he had learned how to deadlift properly and had some training experience he would have an altogether different opinion.
    Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    It might well be just me, but I have to differ with you regarding the deadlift being the easiest lift to learn. There's a lot to remember and keep straight, and too many ways to lose lock on any one of them and for the lift to go wrong and leave you sore. Or at least lifting less than you might be capable of if the DL is done correctly. I have just had to refurbish my own form in this lift and it was not easy just by review of the blue book. But I am getting there.
    We teach the deadlift every month at the seminar, and it is the easiest to teach. Bench isn't critical, and most have been doing it. The squat is the most technical of the lifts, the hardest to coach, and the hardest to retain.

No way I'm deadlifting again after reading this. If there's something heavy on the floor I need to move, I'll get the wife to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Overbar View Post
    Later in the podcast he talks about how he went into one of his first Strongman competition with very little deadlift experience (like three weeks’ worth) and, shockingly, hurt his back deadlifting more than 800 pounds. Perhaps this colored his opinion on the matter. ***Perhaps if he had learned how to deadlift properly *** and had some training experience he would have an altogether different opinion.
    Strongman deadlifts generally allow (encourage, really) ramping and hitching along with straps, so the opportunity for injury is magnified. I say this as a big fan of strongman stuff, but since nobody pays me to show off I personally stick to powerlifting rules form.

Perhaps.
    Found this post he made on instagram from a few months ago: Robert Oberst on Instagram: “Figuring out this whole deadlift suit! Deadlift has been my weakness from day one in Strongman. I come from a football background and I was…”

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oberst
    Deadlift has been my weakness from day one in Strongman. I come from a football background and I was always taught and still believe that hang-cleans are much better and less dangerous for football, so I didn’t start deadlifting til a few years ago when I started Strongman.
    Why, it's almost as if incompetent football coaches who didn't know how to coach the deadlift are the ones really to blame here. And, hey, it's almost as if we've said this before!

If you've got a guy who has the genetic capacity to deadlift 800+ within a few years of beginning training, I humbly submit you can have him do lots of silly BS in the gym that would still appear "to work." In this case, hang cleans aren't even silly BS - they're pretty far to the more useful side of the scale, all things fitness considered (think about what you see at your local globo gym). Doing heavy DLs and cleans from the floor would have been even better, but all things considered, you have a genetic freak doing reasonably useful things, of course it's going "to work."

But the root cause in this narrow case for his issue with deadlifts almost certainly still comes down to the classic football or S&C coach situation.

Broadly speaking regarding the issue as a whole, I stand by my earlier post.

I don't think you guys appreciate what a powerful argument he makes. "The best in the world do it this way, therefore that's the best way to do it." How do you refute that to a person of average intelligence?
    ehh ... I don't think too much of anyone is giving credence, "average intelligence" or otherwise, to what this guy says about dead lifting.

I'm sure nearly everyone's bullshit meter pegged to the right.

You don't give people (the general public) enough credit Mark.

Even your average (non SSC) coach, personal trainer, meathead gymbro could explain away Robert Oberst's position a few different ways, and why that might not apply to you (general public "you").

starting strength coach development program
    You're wrong about this, Fulcrum. You obviously don't work in this industry.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast