Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Julia Avila wins her debut performance at UFC 239

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I thought ONE already changed their rules to nip this in the bud.
    Yep, that’s my understanding too. According to a friend of mine that fights for them, there are regular weigh-ins and hydration tests leading up to the fight to avoid this tomfoolery.

She’s got the right mindset, there’s a few other fighters that notoriously lift heavy such as ilir latifi (sp), Jon Jones, and Alexander gustusfan (sp) also has a serious deadlift.

For what it’s worth, I just did a grappling tournament Saturday and competed at 190-199lb weight class. It was absurd how much stronger I was than my opponents in the clinch, which I attribute to my strength training. Also, I was by far the “smallest” competitor in my weight class in terms of I guess you can say frame so as everyone here knows, this shit works.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I thought ONE already changed their rules to nip this in the bud. They now do hydration testing leading up to the fight and when they get weighed they have to be at a certain level of hydration. Apparently there are still ways to cheat these tests but the crash weight cutting over 24 hours seems to be a thing of the past for ONE.
    True, but One doesn't release the weights of the fighters, even to the opponents. It's Asia, so there probably won't be any legal action, but I suspect shenanigans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12