starting strength gym

Thread: Question about the knees in the press 2.0

Default Question about the knees in the press 2.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coach,

After re-reading bill starr’s article about the olympic style press I was wondering if this related to the press 2.0 as well:

“Your legs should be straight, but not locked. This may sound confusing and I admit it is, but you can check it out yourself. You can stand with your legs straight, yet the knees aren’t locked.”

And

“Pull yourself into a tight coil then drive the bar upward just as hard as you can and at that same moment, lock your knees.”

I’ve been struggling with my press for quite a while and my typical setup involves tight quads and knees that are locked hard before the horizontal rebound of the hips.

After trying the press with a tight snap of the knees on the rebound seems to help produce more force from the rebound, but am I taking too much away from the upper body? I know I’m not push pressing it, but i’ll have to get back to you with video if required!

Thanks!

The pressing muscles get all the work they need if you don't push-press the bar up to the top of your head before you start pressing it. If your knees stay tight, you won't.

Roger that - as far as timing goes should i be locking the knees hard immediately after the hips rebound? Assuming my knees were already straight, but not locked