starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Radio: Abeel Mangi MD: Cardiac Rehab and Strength Training

Default Starting Strength Radio: Abeel Mangi MD: Cardiac Rehab and Strength Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

RIP,

Maybe I am partial because I live in CT right down the street from where Dr. Mangi works, or maybe its because I have had my own butt saved by my own cardiologist at Bridgeport hospital (a Yale affiliate) years ago, I am not sure. But what I am sure of however is this is my favorite podcast by far put out by Starting Strength. There is so much that personally resonated with me from this podcast and I think it will for many others too. There are so many people out there like me who have had some sort of disease, ailment etc. . . that want to change their lives for the better.

Personally, I have been trying to figure out how to get my wife involved with strength training. She sees how I feel now and loves the fact that I am not out running 100's of miles a week as a skinny fat marathoner anymore. Rather she sees how much energy I have, how productive I am and how I have more time to spend enjoying life and am much harder to kill. That said however, every time I have mentioned certain things about strength training to her, she would give me a crazy look.

I think this podcast may be the avenue I need as I will just happen to be watching this when we are hanging out after dinner tonight and nothing else is on TV. If she hears this info from a local CT. MD who knows???

Anyway, this was an awesome informative podcast and this along with my own personal body transformation reaffirms my belief in strength training. Keep up the great work you and the team do!

Thanks!

Sparky

P.S. and yes you are both correct as mentioned in the podcast, when someone like a cardiologist or oncologist (both in my case) saves your life, you tend to ignore everyone else and go to them only. Only a little over a year ago did I finally get a PCP as I asked my oncologist and my cardiologist every question known to man for the last decade. Its a relationship bond that never gets broken. Get a few of these wonderful people on board with strength training and I think we will see amazing changes to peoples lives for the better.

Excellent stuff. I hope it will represent a way to "get the word out".

I thought your summary at 43:36 "What we have here is the answer... to the conditions that predispose for heart disease" was particularly compelling and should be the core of a message that might penetrate some of the fog.

Something you said in that context surprised me a bit, though: at 43:48: "We know what dietary interventions to make..."

Really? Is there an article I have missed on exactly this subject? I have always found dietary claims in this regard extremely confusing... I would really appreciate a few more words on that subject -- even though I know the more important claims, in terms of health impact, are related to the results of hard physical activity -- I, at least, am already convinced on that front. Where can I find more clarity on the diet component of it all?

Loved this one. More like this please.

Coincidentally, I listened to the podcast on my last day of "Cardiac Rehab." I am one of their "stars" because my "mets" are so high on the treadmill, elliptical etc. Interestingly, I really never did cardio before, because I was primarily lifting and one or two HIIT workouts a week. With much trepidation, I returned to lifting a month out from my heart attack and stent. I had been told by my cardiologist not to lift more than 55 pounds, and to never ever, ever valsalva.

After posting a couple of questions here, talking to a doctor who lifts, and doing some reading and research, I started back on a NLP and some 90 days later my lifts are back where they were before the MI, and the numbers are still moving up. I spoke to the staff at the Cardiac Rehab and they were interested in the podcast, and I know at least two of them will listen to it. They expressed frustration that they weren’t able to do more, but are limited because of the equipment available to them and the fact that there aren’t enough of them to really coach the participants. I'm going to encourage them to include an educational lecture on barbell training if nothing else. At least the participants could be exposed to these ideas.

You seem to have hit on something here. I am not sure if it was the interesting, well-spoken guest, the highly relatable nature of the topic, the emotion-evoking personal stories or the presentation of unconventional wisdom in a logical, highly credible way, but people love it!

Only saw one "How am I supposed to beat off to this?" comment on Youtube vs. up to 50 on some of your other videos. It looks like it wasn't such a big issue for this one.

The amazing thing is that there are only 2421 views on YouTube right now. The sillyass Q&A video last time was at 15,000 by this same time, and this one is, in the opinion of many people, the best one we've done.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The amazing thing is that there are only 2421 views on YouTube right now. The sillyass Q&A video last time was at 15,000 by this same time, and this one is, in the opinion of many people, the best one we've done.
    Maybe we should change the tittle to, “What heart doctors REALLY THINK about lifting weights,” and then a close up shot of you, mouth agape, as if you’ve just heard something shocking.

Oh 2019. As our friend Jay Livsey says, what a time to be alive.

From this discussion, two questions/points of a completely serious nature:

1. What is an appropriate definition of what constitutes a “processed” food? This has increasingly become a pop-culture bullshit term, at least to me. All substances that are appropriate for human consumption require some level of human intervention in order to make their nutrients readily available, either mechanically, thermally, biologically, and/or chemically. What’s the criteria? Beyond the obvious distinction of Kraft Mac and Cheese versus Grandma’s Sunday macaroni.

2. Rip and Dr. Mangi, how do your opinions on “high carb” diets square with the recommendations given by Santana, et al., regarding nutrition for trainees? Are you referring to general population? Does the relatively high protein content that we advocate and recommend mitigate any deleterious effects? (I think I may have answered my own question here; if you are eating 200g of protein as a male, it’s pretty hard to get to the USDA’s recommended percentage of carbohydrates intake per day.)

starting strength coach development program
    1. Dr. Mangi stated that any food that comes out of a box is a processed food, and this is a good approximation.

2. High-carb diets without sugar are necessary for heavy training. I'll ask Robert to comment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast