starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When it's just impossible to do the program

Default When it's just impossible to do the program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good afternoon, Coach.
    Some stats about me: about 70kgs, 29yo, about 180cm tall. Lanky SOB, always been, trying to be serious about my lifting. Some PRs from a few years ago include 120kgs DL and 110kgs SQ (I was doing them high-bar back then). Bench was shameful so I will not post it.
    I have been doing the "other novice spectacular gainzzz program" (the one with 5 sets instead of 3) for two months, not really making any progress since I was not able to defeat my at-the-time PRs (SQ 80x5 for example). Going to 3x5 is so much better for recovery and really allows me to progress better, been doing it for 3 weeks and I can feel the effects already. Anyway, here's why I am not doing the program:
    - I'm a seafarer. End of list.
    I don't have access to the best of food or even sometimes decent food. I don't have access to a GOMAD. Sleep is a luxury, limited to 6 hours per night and 2 hours during the day (if I have no other jobs that day). When the ship is rolling, I can't really go heavy (imagine going 5 degrees left and right when you squat and the imagine going back and forth also, with no rhythm to the movements, sudden shocks and all that beauty). I don't have a power rack onboard, only the bench (which is removable and the supports can be lifted up to squat). Bumper plates are of course out of the question.
    Despite all this, my lifts are respectable for someone who just started doing things seriously: SQ 95kgs, DL 105kgs, BP 75kgs, OHP 45kgs. Cleans I cannot do due to long forearms and a tight (not really huge but solid) biceps. I'm still working on them though and not trying to pussy out. Chins I cannot sustain more than 7 in a row no matter what I do. I used to do them weighted, worked up to around 25-30kgs for 5 reps but I am reluctant to add weight again until I can do 10 in a row.

Do you have any advice for someone in my rather unique situation? I know I should keep lifting, that part is clear, I love the program (the part I can actually do) but is there something you would change with regards to instensity/progression taking into account I am severely deficient in the recovery aspect? Should I just quit my job and focus on lifting so I can work up to my mediocre genetic limitations and then off myself 10 years down the line? But seriously, do you have any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorsquat View Post
    Good afternoon, Coach.
    yo

Chins?
    I've found that doing more volume (sets) and possibly more frequency (days) helps with getting your chins up per set. Being a long limbed lifter, I used to be stuck on about sets of 6, and I couldn't break the plateau doing just 3 sets. I added sets and workouts and slowly made my way up to one max set of 12 followed by 2 sets of 10. Messed around with weighted chins some, but didn't care much for it. Too much hassle without the weight belt and I just never placed the order for one.

That'd be my advice on that front. Not the biggest deal if you truly can't devote more time to chins to improve on them.

Whaddya know, I'm not a special snowflake after all. This is exactly my intention, Coach. I'll do what I can, when I can.

With regards to chins, that's how I do them at home. About 50 total, 30 minimum, every other day. The last sets were always 2s and 3s. Done this for two months and still can't break through the initial 7. Maybe I was just not eating enough back then. If you say that worked, I will keep trying.

Thank you for replying.

If you're already a very active chinner upper, I don't know what else to suggest. There's a couple of things that come to mind, but I don't have enough experience to pick one out as the definitive solution to the problem. I'll throw the proverbial towel in so as not to muddy the water with a bunch of maybes. Hope a smarter man or woman comes along and chips in. Good luck.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. I think it's the only solution anyway. What else is there to do?
    At least my legs look better in a skirt on 3x5, so that's something.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. I think it's the only solution anyway. What else is there to do?
    At least my legs look better in a skirt on 3x5, so that's something.
    Careful... if you gain too much lean body mass you won't be able to fit in the barrel, anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Careful... if you gain too much lean body mass you won't be able to fit in the barrel, anymore.
    Navy humor: "It's not gay underway; not queer next to the pier."

Shouldn't it be "under weigh," like weighing the anchor? Or is there a different source for the term?

starting strength coach development program
    Joe, thanks, I didn't know that particular one, made me sneeze my coffee.
    Coach, nope, it's "underway", as in "on the way", "making way", "out of my way", stuff like that. Although similarly sounding, it has no connection to weighing the anchor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast