starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When it's just impossible to do the program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorsquat View Post
    Coach, nope, it's "underway", as in "on the way", "making way", "out of my way", stuff like that. Although similarly sounding, it has no connection to weighing the anchor.
    Well, it ought to be.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Careful... if you gain too much lean body mass you won't be able to fit in the barrel, anymore.
    Oh that barrel reference brings back memories. Spent a few years in ships in the merchant marine.
    My classmate was on another ship and was benching, ship took a big swell and you know the story. Barbell came crashing down. Fractured his clavicle while at sea. Very painful few days while he stayed in his rack as the ship continued steaming until it got close to shore and could mess ax him.

Not a sea strong, it happened. On merchant ships there is no sick bay nor medical staff. Oh good times.

I'm also on merchant ships. The thing that scares me is not the BP, but the SQ. I try not to go all out when the ship is rolling too much or I haven't had enough rest. Even if I don't break something immediately, my joints won't be happy if they suddenly get out of their comfortable ROM.

And Coach, yeah, a lot of things ought to change about this line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Shouldn't it be "under weigh," like weighing the anchor? Or is there a different source for the term?
    Rip,

There is a whole area of nautical terminology with respect to "way"

Underway: ship is afloat, free of constraint (i.e. not moored, anchored, or aground)
    Making Way: ship is underway, transiting under her own propulsion and under command (i.e. moving with purpose as per crew's intention)
    Making Way, Under Sail: Nautical Rules of the Road distinction affecting vessel hierarchy--who must yield to avoid collision (Old School: Privileged Vessel vs. Burdened Vessel)
    Making Way, Restricted in Ability to Maneuver: the nature of the ship's work limit her ability to maneuver freely. Other vessels must yield and maneuver to maintain safe distance. (Trawling, Mine Clearance, Launching/recovery aircraft, surveying, etc. )
    Making Way, Not Under Command: Steering/rudder failure or casualty. Still have propulsion available. Multiple screw ships can still maneuver somewhat...particularly warships; not so much merchant vessels
    Underway, Not Under Command: Adrift without steering or propulsion; you're in trouble...

There are many others, these were just a few off the top of my head.

If I might add to Commander Leppo’s input. There is also the term anchors aweigh indicating the anchor(s)of a vessel are free of the sea floor and the vessel is underway as defined above. I have seen it spelled incorrectly as anchors away which can cause confusion. It’s also the title of a very catchy song that I believe was originally written at the Naval Academy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CarteringKat View Post
    If I might add to Commander Leppo’s input. There is also the term anchors aweigh indicating the anchor(s)of a vessel are free of the sea floor and the vessel is underway as defined above. I have seen it spelled incorrectly as anchors away which can cause confusion. It’s also the title of a very catchy song that I believe was originally written at the Naval Academy.
    "Anchors aweigh" used as "anchors away" was how we remembered which way to point the EGA collar devices on our service alpha and dress blues jackets. "The Navy's anchors away, Marines point them inwards." Then we feasted upon the crayons and drank Rip Its from the skulls of our enemies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12