starting strength gym

Thread: Blood Pressure and the Starting Strength Method

Default Blood Pressure and the Starting Strength Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I have been doing the program for two years. Prior to that I lifted lightly and ran consistently for about 20 years until my knees starting hurting and I found SS. My recent lifts: Squat 475 and Dead 505. I am 6ft 230lbs. I gained about 25 lbs drinking gallons of milk a day. Body fat went up to 20%.

Prior to the program I had a low resting heart rate 50 pbm and blood pressure of 150/70. Now I have the same heart rate but my blood pressure is 170/90. Combined with weight gain, this alarms my physician. I am not worried about the weight because it is mostly new muscle mass.

I have started doing more low impact cardio which has impacted my gains in an effort to see if this helps with BP.

Is this blood pressure increase observed in others? Any recommendations on training modifications?

Mike

I’ve done two things

An old guys modified version of Marks SS LP program and tried very hard to eliminate and processed foods

my blood pressure has dropped from 148/90 to 110/ 70

I’m 6’4 272 lbs 67 years old

my cardiologist said to keep doing whatever I’m doing he likes the weight training

Some people just run hot with steel-braided veins. After months of insisting he was fine, my dad gave in and started taking blood pressure medicines. He felt horrible all the time, and after passing out in Walmart (thank GOD not on the farm while running equipment or while driving) he quit the blood pressure medicine and immediately felt better.

Not saying you do or do not have the same thing going on, but pay attention and be your own advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    I’ve done two things

An old guys modified version of Marks SS LP program and tried very hard to eliminate and processed foods

my blood pressure has dropped from 148/90 to 110/ 70

I’m 6’4 272 lbs 67 years old

my cardiologist said to keep doing whatever I’m doing he likes the weight training
    Bobman: as someone about your BMI, I've got to ask: are you fat? Any other health conditions? I ask because there's not many men in their 70s who are our size and I'm concerned that as I age (I'm presently 49) I should consider downsizing. My own father is 75, 6’3-4” and about 235. He doesn't train but he's always been very physically active. He still is and is on no medications. I'm hoping for the same outcome but there's not a lot of us.