starting strength gym

Thread: Bill Starr's power clean

Default Bill Starr's power clean

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

I just purchased Bill Starr's " The Strongest Shall Survive" and read his section on the power clean. It seems interesting that his teaching of the PC encourages an arm pull/ upright row to rack the clean. By the time Bill was teaching you the lifts was he still teaching the PC this way? If so, at what point did you deviate to your own method and cues to teach the power clean?

I've finally removed arm pull from my own cleans and am finally progressing on the PC without beating myself up and just find it interesting how much different Bill taught the lift.

He didn't really teach me the lift, I had learned it from watching. It is interesting how much difference there can be in two different approaches to the same movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He didn't really teach me the lift, I had learned it from watching. It is interesting how much difference there can be in two different approaches to the same movement.
    I see. In the blue book photo he's squat cleaning 400 lbs +. I assume he could power clean in the 300s. Impressive with that technique. I wonder how many lbs Bill left off the bar using that much arm pull . Some brute strength for sure.

He didn't arm pull. Don't confuse the way he taught it with the way he actually did it himself.