starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Edge Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    More examples of elite athletes demonstrating their abilities, rather than training.

I'm sure some of these athletes go hit the weights after these play ground activities. It's kinda like when you go to a fancy restaurant that serves small food and then go to Whataburger afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Complicate to validate.
    Yeah, this is so they can immediately go on the defensive and say something like "I'm training for the big game," hoping that'll shut everyone up.

Does look fun as hell, though. I mean, would you rather be standing there all sweaty n tired with 3-400lb on your back on your second set of 5 across or dance around waist deep in a swimming pool? Gimme the pool any day of the week, famalamily.

NPC replies:

LOL at you for thinking you know how to train them better then the experts.
    If your so good at this, why arent YOU getting paid big bux to coach in the pros?
    Pro basketball and football players aren't powerlifters.
    I included the grammar and spelling errors, but unfortunately due to the limitations of this platform, was unable to include the spittle flecked vitriol in some of their voices.

We can't prove, right now, that our approach is absolutely correct in the same way we can prove logically that 2+2=4 or empirically that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa. There's too many variables and not enough good data. BUT. In a vacuum with no preconceived notions of idiocy and stupidity courtesy of the ingenious strength and conditioning profession, if you compared THIS with what we're saying for coherency of analysis and reason, which is more likely correct?

Yet, those preconceived notions about what "training athletes" means do severely restrict our data-set, showing it in a more academic fashion is difficult. As discussed in the Oberst deadlift thread, if anything changes the paradigm it's likely to be a single outstanding athlete or team who embraces real strength training whole heartedly and demolishes everyone. While that's not proof in the academic sense, practically speaking it's what changes people's minds.

If your so good at this, why arent YOU getting paid big bux to coach in the pros?
    It's real hard to explain.

LOL at you for thinking you know how to train them better then the experts.
    Wait what? You guys aren't experts? Crap...

My town has a collegiate summer baseball team. They come work out at the Y and every year I get to see the latest flavor of “Cutting edge training” One year it was putting tourniquets on arms and legs, and doing high reps, then take off the tourniquets and feel the burn. I never did quite understand the reasoning, but they were quite confident that this was improving their game. This year's first group was the first time I saw any players doing actual squats and deadlifts. One of them doing deadlifts, finished with 5 reps at 475, but that's not the norm. The second group was back to normal and they brought a coach. If they did any squats, they were 3/4 depth and deadlifts were with the trapbar. But mostly they did things like as supersetting one-arm dumbbell snatches with one-arm plate crunches with something I can't begin to describe. Every day it's something different and little of it involves squats, deadlifts, press and bench

My personal favorite is the "high altitude simulation mask". It functions similarly to holding your breath or having emphysema.

The primary benefit is you get that real serious cyborg look to impress your globo gym comrades at the after workout pizza parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    My personal favorite is the "high altitude simulation mask". It functions similarly to holding your breath or having emphysema.

The primary benefit is you get that real serious cyborg look to impress your globo gym comrades at the after workout pizza parties.
    There was a guy wearing one of those stupid pieces of shit at my gym today. Was supposed to look like The Joker's smile too. You know, so you can both sound like Darth Vader and look like a deranged psychopath at the same time. Cool. He came into the room with most of the racks to do some "toes to bars", and as soon as he left we all burst out laughing at him. Sometimes I love my globo gym. Generates lots of hilarity, but is well equipped enough that there are always some right minded people around to laugh about it with.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post

Why would they go to a fucking pizza party after their workout? They'd obviously be at an industrial dance party
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast