starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Edge Training

This is really good. Those of you who doubt my assessment of both the pro-level S&C fools and the sports media need to look at this.

Buddy just sent me this in response to the article, gold:

Coach Joe on Twitter: "Is this how you train professional athletes these days?… "

When talking about Jadeveon Clowney planking on the two Fizio balls, Alexander describes how using a technique like this trains the body to work like a "glass of water," saying that when you isolate various muscle groups to "pour it out slowly" because that's when "it flows beautifully."

What in the actual fuck does this even mean?

It's sports "journalism" -- it doesn't have to actually mean anything.

"Our NBA players will be stepping off plyometric boxes and landing on unstable surfaces to mimic and simulate possibly going up and landing on someone's foot," Alexander told ESPN.
    Because that's not going to end badly for anyone.

OTOH, you have to give the trainer credit for being willing to do something that might actually injure the players.

Because the "trainer's" analysis is that this doesn't happen often enough on the court already.

Complicate to validate.

You have to be prepared to land on someone‘s foot, don’t ya? Maybe weighing 250 and squatting 500 is not enough... Or maybe weighing 250 and squatting 500 is not fancy enough. Or maybe it‘s just too hard to do that. Or maybe unstable surfaces are cheaper than racks and plates. Who knows.

starting strength coach development program
    Sadly, I know many grown men around me buy into the fact that if top tier athletes train this way that it must be the best most cutting edge way train. Anytime I talk to my friends (who have been spinning there wheels to nowhere for years) about training the term " gotta work the core" comes up endlessly. Anything I say falls on def ears and I gave up trying to help them. I just nod in agreement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast